VMware Cloud Community
davros84
Contributor
Contributor

Eesxicli cd can't cd to /vmfs/volumes/datastore1

Hello

I have a single ESXi 5.5 server that needs a security patch. I have uploaded the patch onto the local datastore and want to install it via CLI. I have followed VMware's instructions on this but I get stuck at check the directory. cd can't cd to /vmfs/volumes/datastore1

I can get to /vmfs/volumes but not any further down the directory, I was thinking it might be a permissions issue? I'm not a Linux expert tbh.

I would use VUM but we have been having issues so I just need it quickly updated via the CLI, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JPM300
Commander
Commander

It could be a problem with the symlink.  The Datastore name Datastore01 is acutally a user friendly name.  The acutaly folder has a SID attached to it like 432023-234234-34adfdc34.  The easiet way to find this is login to the VI, click on a host, click on configuration > Storage and click on the Datastore, in the bottom screen/pane under Datastore Details you will see the name of the datastore and then a location.

Example

Datastore01

Try CD'ing into that directory instead of the friendly name.

Also are you logged in as root?  if not do a ls on the directory and see what the permissions are set to on that datastore

0 Kudos
c52545
Contributor
Contributor

Put the foldername in quotes

#cd "volumes"

0 Kudos