VMware Cloud Community
COS
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Easy points.........maybe

OK, I added an ESX(i) 5 host to a cluster. Then I removed it. In vCenter, it no longer shows up. But when I connect to the evicted host, it still pops up with the message "This host is currently being managed by the vCenter Server with IP address blah.blah.blah.blah....."

What do I need to do to fix this?

Host is ESXi 5.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Depending on the guests running on this host (whether you can take them offline) and the complexity of the configuration (networking, ...) I would probably go ahead, insert the installation CD and run "Install ESXi, preserve VMFS datastore" and then reconfigure the host. This way you will at least end up with a clean host.

Another thing to check is licensing on the vCenter Server. If the host wasn't removed properly from vCenter Server, the licenses may still be "locked" by the disconnected host and you'd have to edit the ADAM datasbase to clean up the license count.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

How exactly did you remove/disconnect the host from the cluster and from vCenter Server itself?

André

0 Kudos
COS
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Can't remember. It actually wasn't me who did it. Let's assume the worst and all they did was disconnect and maybe then they deleted it out of vSphere?

I wasn't present when it was done.

:smileysilly:

0 Kudos
jjgunn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Add the host, clicking past the "blah blah blah" already in vCenter. Then remove the host cleanly and re-add.

The message should be gone.

0 Kudos
COS
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Just tried it and got the following....

"A general system error
occurred: internal error
Processing data from vCenter agent on esxBlahBlah"

Looks like I might need to flush something out of the ESX box first?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you may want to restart the management agenst and remove the HA (FDM) agents.  First restart the management agents, then remove the HA agents and restart the management agents again..... see if that works.

cp /opt/vmware/uninstallers/VMware-fdm-uninstall.sh /tmp
chmod +x /tmp/VMware-fdm-uninstall.sh
/tmp/VMware-fdm-uninstall.sh

Taken from, http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003714

aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You can try to uninstall the VC agent manually on the server. Check KB for instruction

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
jjgunn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

*as noted in the KB, you cannot uninstall the vpx agents on an ESXi5 host.  The only agent that can be uninstalled is HA.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Depending on the guests running on this host (whether you can take them offline) and the complexity of the configuration (networking, ...) I would probably go ahead, insert the installation CD and run "Install ESXi, preserve VMFS datastore" and then reconfigure the host. This way you will at least end up with a clean host.

Another thing to check is licensing on the vCenter Server. If the host wasn't removed properly from vCenter Server, the licenses may still be "locked" by the disconnected host and you'd have to edit the ADAM datasbase to clean up the license count.

André

0 Kudos
COS
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Aw man......

I'm going to kick those fools AAAAAA!!!!

I'll call this one in......lol

0 Kudos
COS
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

@ a.p.....

If the vCenter Server no longer shows the ESX host as part of the cluster, is it safe to assume that the license has been released?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Basically yes, but you may want to check the current CPU license count against the licenses assigned to the currently connected servers to ensure this.

André

0 Kudos
COS
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Aw crudddd.....

It shows 0 available. This means the license is locked.

Man, these guys are killin me..........lol

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1015268 may help. Please be extremely careful with editing the ADAM database! Double or better triple check before you delete anything and make sure you have an up-to-date backup!

André

0 Kudos
COS
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

OK, In the past I have experinced that vCenter sometimes shows "stale" data. So I cycled the services on the vCenter server and it changed from 0 available to 4 available.

I then added the other host to the cluster and it joined fine.

So now all is good. Thanks everyone!

0 Kudos