VMware Cloud Community
ginger8990
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

EXSi version 4.1 upgrade to 5.1 with NetApp Filer as storage

It is straight forward to upgrade a single EXSi host from the old version to a new version. But how to upgrade a host mounted to NetApp Filer storage (datastore). I am not familiar with NetApp Filer as storage. Appreciate detailed or step by step information  such as 1) unmounted the NFS share ? 2) upgrade the exsi host from 4.1 to 5.1 3) then re-mount the NFS share????

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi ginger8990,

It's me again Smiley Happy  In reviewing some of your recent posts I see you are hungry to learn, so I will throw a few more tidbits out there to nibble on.  This is just my advice and how I do things, yours and other approaches may vary.  Much of it you will already know so forgive me, but better too much than not enough I say.

Compatibility

Always check the compatibility and interoperability matrixes for all vendors involved.  When in doubt escalate to a vendor and ask, it's their job to answer.

BIOS / Firmware

When upgrading, you may also take the opportunity during this downtime to update your server BIOS, Firmware, etc. to the desired standard. 

vmkping

Once the server is back online and ESXi has been updated, you can confirm clean access to the storage by performing a vmkping to the filer IP from a putty/SSH session on the VMHost (especially useful for testing jumbo frames if you use that).  Other than that, if you see that the datastores are not grayed out (i.e. you can right click and browse to them) then you should be good to go.  Bring up a test VM and check things out.

NetApp VSC and Data OnTap Versions

Since you are upgrading your VMHost from 4.x to 5.x, this implies that the vCenter version was already upgraded (hard requirement as you know).  I see you mentioned you are using the vCenter appliance (VCSA).  Are you also using the Netapp VSC?  If so this would be installed on a Windows server of some sort as I don't think it's supported on VCSA yet (but I could be wrong).

Review the version of your NetApp VSC plugin and talk to your Storage team to decide if they want to upgrade it.  They might want to review their Data OnTap version among other things before deciding (OnTap version is also very relevant if seeking VAAI and SIOC features... don't worry about those last 2 if you haven't started down that path yet).

SMVI

After upgrading the VSC you should review the SMVI schedule (NetApp snapshots) if you use those.  Don't skip the review of the SMVI or you may violate SLAs by missing nightly snapshots.  The reason is that after a VSC upgrade your snap schedule may need to be reconfigured.  Anyway, the VSC upgrade is optional, but desired.

Advanced Settings (vmkernel)

Using the traditional vSphere fat C#lient, you should also confirm that each of the ESXi hosts have the vmkernel advanced best practice settings for NFS.  You can view your VMhost's compliance from the Home > NetApp plugin on the vSphere client.  I don't have it in front of me now, but I think it's under "Host Discovery" within the plugin.  Just scroll down to your host within the plugin and see if it's compliant.  If not, you can right click and apply the settings to the VMHost in question (ESXi reboot required).  The advanced settings can also be done manually in the vSphere Client for each host, or by using PowerCLI.

CDP Reports and Clean Communication

As always, before performing any upgrades, it's always handy to gather an RVTools report and save it off to Excel for reference.  Also helpful is a CDP report (like this or that).  The CDP report shows the network switch ports your host is connected to.  Send this report to your network guys and  tell them to "disregard reboots on the following interfaces while host upgrades are performed".  It's always nice to communicate that, plus if you get into any trouble the ports in question are clear to everyone.

OOB (out-of-band access)

Ideally you should have out of band access to the server (i.e. KVM over IP, HP ILO, Dell iDRAC, IBM RSA, etc.).  Those are all examples of technology used to reach the server when the mgmt interface cannot be reached on the network.  If you don't have that, you should have physical access to the server, or schedule your upgrade when you know someone who does have physical access can reach the server if you get in trouble.

Time Sync and DNS

Just make sure the host is syncing to NTP properly and that the DNS addresses are correct.  This is a common one that gets missed on fresh builds.  Your upgrade should carry that over though without issue.

Host Profiles

If you use Host Profiles, the final step would be to update or create a new Host Profile from the newly updated reference host (Home > Host Profiles), then check the compliance of each upgraded host.  This is done from the Hosts and Clusters view by selecting the Cluster in the left pane, and clicking on the "Profile Compliance" tab from the right pane.  Next, right click the desired host and select "Check Profile Compliance" (then scroll way down to see if anything is failing the check).  When in doubt, stick with upgrading one host at a time and test/prove your success.

Tools and vHardware for VMs

After the upgrade you may choose to update the VMware Tools, then the virtual hardware as usual (both optional and can be deferred to a later date to support easy roll-back to 4.x if required).

Note:  Since you're going to 5.1 we still call it vHardware.  In 5.5 it's called virtual compatibility.  You can be several versions behind on this and still be supported.  Most folks just get it done sooner than later though.  Just always remember to do the Tools before the hardware.  I think you have this one mastered though Smiley Happy

Summary/Closing

Ok so that's a bunch of techno babble I just typed out (and trust me there's more) but the reality is you'd be fine not reading any of it and just upgrading.  Just try and do your best to organize your approach and research / ask questions until you're comfortable.  The best way to learn ultimately is by doing.  Anyway, NFS is very forgiving and is probably the easiest thing to support in VMware.  Good luck and have fun!

Some Additional Links:

New NFS Best Practices Whitepaper available | VMware vSphere Blog - VMware Blogs

https://communities.netapp.com/docs/DOC-23811

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/VMware-NFS-Best-Practices-WP-EN-New.pdf

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jrmunday
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

When you say " mounted to NetApp Filer storage (datastore)" do you mean that this simply is a host with NFS storage attached? If yes, there should be no difference to a host without NFS storage. Provided your vmkernel port ip address doesn't change the NFS export will still be available on the upgraded host.

vExpert 2014 - 2022 | VCP6-DCV | http://www.jonmunday.net | @JonMunday77
0 Kudos
ginger8990
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am really not sure how originally set up but only I can see in vcenter appliance we  have 9 hosts named localvmhost1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,...in two clusters but I also can see some other  datastore named differently as EXS1, 2,3,4,5,6,7,8. so these datastore with EXS1, 2...are probably  NAS (NFS storage). My question is do I need to unmount the storage if I upgrade a EXSi host? or just upgrade the host and do nothing about the NAS storage?

0 Kudos
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

ginger8990 wrote:

do I need to unmount the storage if I upgrade a EXSi host?

No.  Good question though.  The only time you will unmount a NetApp NFS datastore is when you are decommissioning it, or performing some troubleshooting (rare).  Upgrades go as normal for the ESXi host which will be in maintenance mode of course, so that's all you need.

Although not needed for the upgrade, if you want to determine which is local vs NFS, you can navigate to the "Hosts and Clusters" view in the vSphere client, then click the desired VMHost in the left pane.  From the right pane double-click the datastore in question.  This will bring you to the "Home > Inventory > Datastores and Datastore Clusters" view.  From there take a look at the "Configuration" tab to see if the datastore in question has an IP address listed (it will appear below in the Datastore Details section) .  You can also do this from PowerCLI with something like:

Get-Datastore | Where {$_.Type -eq "NFS"}

0 Kudos
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi ginger8990,

It's me again Smiley Happy  In reviewing some of your recent posts I see you are hungry to learn, so I will throw a few more tidbits out there to nibble on.  This is just my advice and how I do things, yours and other approaches may vary.  Much of it you will already know so forgive me, but better too much than not enough I say.

Compatibility

Always check the compatibility and interoperability matrixes for all vendors involved.  When in doubt escalate to a vendor and ask, it's their job to answer.

BIOS / Firmware

When upgrading, you may also take the opportunity during this downtime to update your server BIOS, Firmware, etc. to the desired standard. 

vmkping

Once the server is back online and ESXi has been updated, you can confirm clean access to the storage by performing a vmkping to the filer IP from a putty/SSH session on the VMHost (especially useful for testing jumbo frames if you use that).  Other than that, if you see that the datastores are not grayed out (i.e. you can right click and browse to them) then you should be good to go.  Bring up a test VM and check things out.

NetApp VSC and Data OnTap Versions

Since you are upgrading your VMHost from 4.x to 5.x, this implies that the vCenter version was already upgraded (hard requirement as you know).  I see you mentioned you are using the vCenter appliance (VCSA).  Are you also using the Netapp VSC?  If so this would be installed on a Windows server of some sort as I don't think it's supported on VCSA yet (but I could be wrong).

Review the version of your NetApp VSC plugin and talk to your Storage team to decide if they want to upgrade it.  They might want to review their Data OnTap version among other things before deciding (OnTap version is also very relevant if seeking VAAI and SIOC features... don't worry about those last 2 if you haven't started down that path yet).

SMVI

After upgrading the VSC you should review the SMVI schedule (NetApp snapshots) if you use those.  Don't skip the review of the SMVI or you may violate SLAs by missing nightly snapshots.  The reason is that after a VSC upgrade your snap schedule may need to be reconfigured.  Anyway, the VSC upgrade is optional, but desired.

Advanced Settings (vmkernel)

Using the traditional vSphere fat C#lient, you should also confirm that each of the ESXi hosts have the vmkernel advanced best practice settings for NFS.  You can view your VMhost's compliance from the Home > NetApp plugin on the vSphere client.  I don't have it in front of me now, but I think it's under "Host Discovery" within the plugin.  Just scroll down to your host within the plugin and see if it's compliant.  If not, you can right click and apply the settings to the VMHost in question (ESXi reboot required).  The advanced settings can also be done manually in the vSphere Client for each host, or by using PowerCLI.

CDP Reports and Clean Communication

As always, before performing any upgrades, it's always handy to gather an RVTools report and save it off to Excel for reference.  Also helpful is a CDP report (like this or that).  The CDP report shows the network switch ports your host is connected to.  Send this report to your network guys and  tell them to "disregard reboots on the following interfaces while host upgrades are performed".  It's always nice to communicate that, plus if you get into any trouble the ports in question are clear to everyone.

OOB (out-of-band access)

Ideally you should have out of band access to the server (i.e. KVM over IP, HP ILO, Dell iDRAC, IBM RSA, etc.).  Those are all examples of technology used to reach the server when the mgmt interface cannot be reached on the network.  If you don't have that, you should have physical access to the server, or schedule your upgrade when you know someone who does have physical access can reach the server if you get in trouble.

Time Sync and DNS

Just make sure the host is syncing to NTP properly and that the DNS addresses are correct.  This is a common one that gets missed on fresh builds.  Your upgrade should carry that over though without issue.

Host Profiles

If you use Host Profiles, the final step would be to update or create a new Host Profile from the newly updated reference host (Home > Host Profiles), then check the compliance of each upgraded host.  This is done from the Hosts and Clusters view by selecting the Cluster in the left pane, and clicking on the "Profile Compliance" tab from the right pane.  Next, right click the desired host and select "Check Profile Compliance" (then scroll way down to see if anything is failing the check).  When in doubt, stick with upgrading one host at a time and test/prove your success.

Tools and vHardware for VMs

After the upgrade you may choose to update the VMware Tools, then the virtual hardware as usual (both optional and can be deferred to a later date to support easy roll-back to 4.x if required).

Note:  Since you're going to 5.1 we still call it vHardware.  In 5.5 it's called virtual compatibility.  You can be several versions behind on this and still be supported.  Most folks just get it done sooner than later though.  Just always remember to do the Tools before the hardware.  I think you have this one mastered though Smiley Happy

Summary/Closing

Ok so that's a bunch of techno babble I just typed out (and trust me there's more) but the reality is you'd be fine not reading any of it and just upgrading.  Just try and do your best to organize your approach and research / ask questions until you're comfortable.  The best way to learn ultimately is by doing.  Anyway, NFS is very forgiving and is probably the easiest thing to support in VMware.  Good luck and have fun!

Some Additional Links:

New NFS Best Practices Whitepaper available | VMware vSphere Blog - VMware Blogs

https://communities.netapp.com/docs/DOC-23811

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/VMware-NFS-Best-Practices-WP-EN-New.pdf

0 Kudos
ginger8990
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you very much, grasshopper. Just too many to learn....:) That is great summary. I have a lot of to learn from you:)

0 Kudos
Cameron2007
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Concur with the excellent an throurgh answer given  however just be aware of any underlying OS version problems AND any problems with the VSC versions if you are using this for backups.

I've just posted a lengthy question on the upgrade from ESX4.1 which flags up some questions. You might want to take a look

Vcenter upgrade and VSC5.0 Wintel compatibilty and migration approach

0 Kudos