VMware Cloud Community
F_X_E
Contributor
Contributor

EXSi High Availability

Hi Guys, I am new in EXSi deployment. I would like to ask how to determine if my deployment needs to have a high-availability mechanism? My current setup is just I have 2x physical servers and each has its own EXSi installed in it. Then, each EXSi has its VM installed (Cisco vManage) for vManage clusters. 

In the VM (vManage) standpoint I know I can configure cluster but do I still need to setup high-availability in the EXSi level or being a standalone is good enough for this deployment?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

FYI, the product name is "ESXi" and not "EXSi". If these are standalone ESXi hosts with local storage, you will not be able to activate HA. If you have shared storage and the appropriate license, you may optionally activate HA, but it is not a requirement.

0 Kudos
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi, 

I am not sure which high availability you are referring to here but I will explain step by step what I understood.

vCenter is required to manage HA on a cluster (at vCenter level) and ESXi hosts can be part of the cluster.

For VM application high availability, supportability need to be verified and based on that, further config modifications and considerations to be done.

thanks,

MS

0 Kudos