VMware Cloud Community
Sunny123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

EXI 5.5 adding ide hard drive

Hi Everyone,

I am new to ESXi 5.5.  I have one SATA drive and 2 IDE drives.  My BIOS show all the drive, and I have to install ESXi 5.5 on my SATA drive.  However, when I try to add storage using VSphere client, I am not able to see my 2 IDE drives.  My question is how can I add those drive to increase my data storage and install virtual machine ? or do I have to add those hard drive using ESXi command line tool?

Sunny

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community - As far as I know IDE is not supported as a storage device for ESXi -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

8 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community - As far as I know IDE is not supported as a storage device for ESXi -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
joviyach
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It is indeed not supported for ESXi 5.x. It's actually been a question on my VCP-DCV practice exams that I have been taking... Smiley Wink

JarryG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can not add it directly, but you can buy ide2sata or ide2usb adapter...

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
Sunny123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks to everyone now I know that either I have to buy external usb case or SATA drive.

Sunny

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

USB doesn't help, as VMFS datastores cannot be created on USB drives. USB is only an option for the installation of the Hypervisor (ESXi) itself, and for this 1GB is sufficient.

André

0 Kudos
Sunny123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That means I have to get IDE2SATA adapter.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I never tried something like this, so I can't tell you whether this will work. In case this host is going to be a production system, I actually wouldn't even worry about using adapters, but use supported controllers and disk drives. What's the cost of a potential data loss compared to the cost of a new HDD?

André

0 Kudos
JarryG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I hope he wants to use these ide-drives just for local backup, or testing/learning. For any serious (not to say production!) use I'd say hw-raid with enterprise-class drives is necessary...

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
0 Kudos