VMware Cloud Community
polymis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

EVC question

We have a 2 host cluster and we are planning to replace the hosts. The plan is to add the new servers to the cluster and vMotion the VM's from the old hosts to the new and then remove the old hosts.

I understand that EVC with have the baseline CPU feature set at the level of the old hosts to allow vMotion between the old hosts and the new hosts.

My question is will EVC adjust live to match the feature set of the new hosts once the old hosts are removed? Or is there some process we will have to follow to get it to adjust to the new feature set?

Thanks in advance for any help with this question Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You'll have to reconfigure EVC manually after removing the old hosts and the VMs will only use the additional CPU features after powering them off and on (a reboot is not sufficient). Anyway, from what I read so far you should not experience a (performance) issue with a lower EVC level except for very special configurations and/or use cases of the VMs (e.g. software development).

André

0 Kudos
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Aloha,

Create a new cluster and turn on EVC at the appropriate settings/level. Then migrate your hosts into that new cluster.

Bill

0 Kudos
polymis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

André,

I was afraid that might be the case. Was looking for confirmation.

Kahonu84,

What do you mean when you say 'migrate'? I am assuming you don't mean vMotion.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
john23
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

EVC has number of baselines so that will adjust the host according to that baseline before using that baseline EVC checks that these hosts are compatible to the baseline or not. If not it is not possible to use that baseline. So if the old hosts are removed it is not changed automatically you have to do this at you own by either selecting the new baseline or disable the evc.

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal