VMware Cloud Community
bkjackson78
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

EVC mode/vMotion question

I have three different clusters that I will be upgrading in the same 6.5 vCenter. All are being upgraded to three separate Broadwell clusters.

My question is how to do the migration with or without turning EVC mode on?

Please assume we have a "working" vMotion network between the clusters and management is also able to talk.

Legacy clusters will be in 5.5 ESXi and new clusters will be on 6.5 ESXi.

Cluster A: Nahalem cluster to Broadwell cluster

Do I need to set EVC on either legacy cluster or new cluster to preform a hot vMotion?

I assume we Would set the new cluster to EVC mode Nahalem to do this?

Cluster B: Westmere cluster to Broadwell cluster

Do I need to set EVC on either legacy cluster or new cluster to preform a hot vMotion?

I assume we Would set the new cluster to EVC mode Westmere to do this?

Cluster C: Sandy Bridge cluster to Broadwell cluster

I assume we Would set the new cluster to EVC mode Sandy Bridge to do this?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

EVC is a feature that limits processor features (i.e. set a common baseline), so that different CPU generations can be used in a single cluster.

It's not necessary to enable EVC if that's nothing you need, but I usually do it anyway to be prepared for future additions.

Anyway, you should have no issues with migrating VMs from a host with less CPU features to a host with more CPU features. The VMs will continue to run with the CPU feature set that was presented to them at power on.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

EVC is a feature that limits processor features (i.e. set a common baseline), so that different CPU generations can be used in a single cluster.

It's not necessary to enable EVC if that's nothing you need, but I usually do it anyway to be prepared for future additions.

Anyway, you should have no issues with migrating VMs from a host with less CPU features to a host with more CPU features. The VMs will continue to run with the CPU feature set that was presented to them at power on.

André

0 Kudos
bkjackson78
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So, I wouldn't even need to turn on EVC to do a hot migration from old to new clusters?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

No, that's not needed, and wouldn't even help, because the important part is, that the new host's CPU supports the VM's current CPU feature set.

The migration wizard will check this, and only allows the mirgration if the taget supports the required features.

André

0 Kudos
bkjackson78
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks!

0 Kudos