VMware Cloud Community
tuscani99
Contributor
Contributor

EVC \ VMotion Issue

Hey all.. I have a four host cluster with identical hardware and Nehalem EVC mode enabled. We took one of those nodes and moved it to a new datacenter and added it as the only node of a new cluster. Again with Nehalem EVC mode enabled. This weekend we moved a second host (leaving two hosts left of the original four) to the new datacenter and attempted to add it to the new cluster as a second node. Much to our surprise we received the "The host cannot be admitted to the cluster's current Enhanced Vmotion Compatability Mode" error.  We then added the host into vCenter as standalone as I have heard it may help to vMtion the guests into EVC cluster first before adding the host.. but that doesn't work either.. we get the "Host CPU is imcompatible..."

Any idea what the issue might be? Again.. the CPUs on all four hosts are the same and they once resided in a single EVC enabled cluster just fine.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

When you was add new host in new cluster, had virtual machine powered on ? If yes, to add a new host using EVC you need certify that all VM´s are powered off on this new hosts .

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
tuscani99
Contributor
Contributor

They were off..

All BIOS and patches are the same.. what was weird is of the 10 VMs on this host one actualy was able to vmotion.. not sure why unless it had custom flags for the vCPU. But it that were that case I would expect that one to fail ad the other 9 to works.

I went ahead and vMotioned that over and back as a test and it worked ust fine. All of a sudden a couple more were able to vmotion for whatever reason, but not all. What I ended up doing was powered off all VMs and then readding the host to the cluster which worked this time around.. which is what I tried originally but it failed. Very odd. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Have you checked if the VMotion network is configured properly? if you want you can test the ip telnet on port 8000 vmtion.
Check if VT is enable on bios. and read this kb
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=103492...

If possible post here full of error message que Appear for you.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos