VMware Cloud Community
osonder
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

EVC - Recommended?

Hello.!!

I have 4 Vmware servers, all HP ProLiant, running in one cluster with HA and DRS enabled.

1. HP ProLiant DL 380 G7 - Intel Xeon X5690
  2. HP ProLiant DL 380 G7 - Intel Xeon X5690
  3. HP ProLiant DL 380 G8 - Intel Xeon E5-2690
  4. HP ProLiant DL 380p G8 - Intel Xeon E5-2690v2

I was looking at EVC and is interesting in what other is using. Would you recommend using EVC? Problems using EVC?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScreamingSilenc
Jump to solution

If you need to enable EVC between those 4 server then you need to pick the generation baseline which is oldest among all the servers.

In your case I would recommend to use "Westmere-EP" baseline as its the older generation CPU than the other two.

Problems using EVC?

You won't be able to use the new features support with new generation CPU.

Check this KB for more info VMware KB: EVC and CPU Compatibility FAQ

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ScreamingSilenc
Jump to solution

If you need to enable EVC between those 4 server then you need to pick the generation baseline which is oldest among all the servers.

In your case I would recommend to use "Westmere-EP" baseline as its the older generation CPU than the other two.

Problems using EVC?

You won't be able to use the new features support with new generation CPU.

Check this KB for more info VMware KB: EVC and CPU Compatibility FAQ

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.
0 Kudos
osonder
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Mustafa

Thanks for fast reply, and the link. Lots of good FAQ there 🙂

I looked at enabling Westmere generation CPU, but one of the host is reporting: The host cannot be admitted to the cluster's current Enhanced vMotion Compatibility mode. Powered-on or suspended virtual machines on the host may be using CPU features hidden by that mode.

Maybee I need to turn of all virtual machines running on this host?

0 Kudos
markdjones82
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Osonder, if you already have VM's running using the newer instruction set you will need to shut them down before you can turn it on.

As far as concerns, unless you are specifically using those instruction sets you shouldn't have any issues.  That being said best practice is to try to use same type hosts in a cluster, but sometimes that isn't doable for some people.

http://www.twitter.com/markdjones82 | http://nutzandbolts.wordpress.com