VMware Cloud Community
PJo201110141
Contributor
Contributor

ESxi 5.5/vCenter 5.5

Hello,

I have installed vCenter 5.5 and the hosts in this vCenter are ESXi VM's. ( nested virtualisation). I have deployed vCC Server on one of this hosts and could not power on this VM's.

vCenter.JPG

Can somebody help me on this.

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

check  if  your VT technology is enabled on the BIOS. check this KB

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100394...

Also Ensure if the VM hardware version is above 9, Nested virtualization is supported only after hardware version 9.

Thanks,

Avinash

0 Kudos
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Check this blog post and make necessary changes and it will work.

virtuallyGhetto: How to Enable Support for Nested 64bit VMs in vSphere 5

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
PJo201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Avinash,

I have deployed these Hosts as VM in vCD 1.5 environment. Will that be a cause in powering on VM's on that hosts as VmHardware versions are different.  Is there anyway I can deploy VM's on this host.

Thanks,

Pramod

0 Kudos
PJo201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Abhi,

I have deployed my esxi 5.5 hosts as VM's in vcd 1.5 and trying to deploy VM's on that host. Its a 3 level nesting now. Physical Host/ESXi Host as VM and VM on this Host. I cannot disable/enable anything on physical host as its a production. Just need to set this up to perform some normal test.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

In a VCD Environment, you have to enable an option on the VM for the Nested virtualization to work.  Go to properties of VM and

check the box "Exposed hardware-assisted CPU virtualization to guestOS"

Thanks,
Avinash

0 Kudos
PJo201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Im sorry, that needs to be enabled on the ESX host which is acting as a VM or in the VM which we deploy on this esxi host (VM). I went through edit settings and couldnt find this option. Can you please locate.
0 Kudos
PJo201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Avinash Any updates

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi

Apologies for the delayed response, It should be enabled on the VM,

check the screenshot avialable in the below link,

virtuallyGhetto: How to Enable Nested ESXi & Other Hypervisors in vCloud Director 5.1

Please let me know if still have issues.

Thanks,
Avinash

0 Kudos