VMware Cloud Community
enjoy-wfc
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi8 unable to shutdown

Upgrading from ESXi7 to 8 resulted no shutdown nor reboot.  after physical rebooting, ESXi functions well so far. 
Please tell how I can solve this trouble.
error message when shutting-downerror message when shutting-down

0 Kudos
7 Replies
maksym007
Expert
Expert

Physically to press the button on the server or remotely in case you have the access to mgmt console. iDRAC/iLO. 

Here is not so much to do - only hard restart. 

Good that you did a screenshot.

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hi,

One question, where did you install ESXi 8.0 and what kind of system do you have?

One thing that may seem counterintuitive and completely unrelated, try disabling in the machine bios (and if anything update it) those energy saving mechanisms (see the manual), previous state of power (stay off), wake on USB or other devices, seen doing "strange things" on (mostly) consumer hardware in more than one 'occasion.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
maksym007
Expert
Expert

And one more - tell us what is you server vendor? what is CPU generation is inside? 

Compatibility issues might often cause such issues

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Depending on your hardware, sengork's hint about disabling the SDCard Controller at https://williamlam.com/2022/09/homelab-considerations-for-vsphere-8.html#comment-66995 might help.

André

0 Kudos
enjoy-wfc
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your comment. I have installed/updated to ESXi8 from USB stick.

The hardware I have is Intel NUC10i5FNH. CPU is  Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10210U.

0 Kudos
enjoy-wfc
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your advice and I would  disable SD card controller as advised and like to report the result.

0 Kudos
enjoy-wfc
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you guys. ESXi8 were successfully shutdown and rebooted after disabling SDcard controller in BIOS settings.

0 Kudos