VMware Cloud Community
novakk_AH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi5 Update1 PSOD on DELL R710

Hello,

I have problem after upgrade on ESXi5 Update1 during one week i have two PSOD on diferent nods first 20.3.2012 and second today

I create ticket on support but i would like know your expiriance with Update 1

I use DELL R710, MD3220

Thank you

Karel Novak VMware vExpert 2012-2015 VCI-Level2,VCP5,VCAP5-DCA Veeam Certified Trainer Twitter: novakkkarel Skype: novakkkarel Blog: www.vmware-veeam.cz Mob: +420723672524
Tags (4)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
VTsukanov
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi

PSOD is look as problem with dell vc plugin. You can search solutions at dell support or try to boot from altbootbank partitions (Shift + R when the loading ESXi screen appears, That should give you the ability to go to the previous update/version)

0 Kudos
Flammenmeer
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Did you find a solution of your problem with this PSOD? If you have any additional information about this error, please, let me know about.

I have the same error, but I'm using VMware 5 up1 with IBM x3650 M3 and DS3512 SAS. Our storage and SAS HBAs are built on the same OEM hardware from LSI as yours.

You can watch this error here - http://communities.vmware.com/thread/396289, but this discussion in Russian, and we are still didn't find any solution or workaround...

With best regards.

0 Kudos
novakk_AH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

NO -(

I wait on VMware support a long time ... engineering status

I create support with LSI , DELL but without effect all told me you must solve with VMware

last one month without PSOD i only try poweroff dell vcentrum plugin , but i think then problem is with sas driver from VMware ( becouse new in Update 1 )

Karel Novák

System Engineer Virtual Infrastructure

Alliance Healthcare s.r.o.

Podle trati 7

Praha 10, Malešice

Mob:+420723-672 524

To: <karel.novak@a-h.cz>,

Date: 06/06/2012 09:21 PM

Subject: New message: "ESXi5 Update1 PSOD on DELL R710"

Karel Novak VMware vExpert 2012-2015 VCI-Level2,VCP5,VCAP5-DCA Veeam Certified Trainer Twitter: novakkkarel Skype: novakkkarel Blog: www.vmware-veeam.cz Mob: +420723672524
0 Kudos
Flammenmeer
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, Karel!

Thanks for the information.

I've created a support call with IBM, and they told me the same - there is no problem with hardware (and I agree with them), you must solve this problem with VMware. But because we are using VMware 5 in the evaluation mode, we don't have any official support from it Smiley Sad

I'm too thinking that a problem with a rare occuring PSOD - this is a problem with a SAS driver from VMware.

If you don't mind, can you give me a list of your vib-files, to compare with mine (you can find it here - http://communities.vmware.com/message/2054784😞

esxcli --server=<server> --username=root software vib list | more

Regards,

Victor

0 Kudos
novakk_AH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

I don't have LSIProvider

Karel Novák

System Engineer Virtual Infrastructure

Alliance Healthcare s.r.o.

Podle trati 7

Praha 10, Malešice

Mob:+420723-672 524

To: <karel.novak@a-h.cz>,

Date: 06/07/2012 08:44 AM

Subject: New message: "ESXi5 Update1 PSOD on DELL R710"

0 Kudos
jjgunn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What version of Dell vCenter plugin are you using? Should be version 1.5

Are your R710's up to date with BIOS (6.1.0) and LSI firmware for RAID card (6.3.1) ?

I have a couple R710's running ESXi 5 U1 with no issues.

0 Kudos
Flammenmeer
Contributor
Contributor

jjgunn wrote:

What version of Dell vCenter plugin are you using? Should be version 1.5

Are your R710's up to date with BIOS (6.1.0) and LSI firmware for RAID card (6.3.1) ?

I have a couple R710's running ESXi 5 U1 with no issues.

What type of disk storage connected to your R710's servers are you using? What type of interface: SAS, FC, iSCSI?

0 Kudos
jjgunn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Netapp & EMC using FCoE (software) with Intel X520-2 cards (SFP+ connectors) into a Nexxus 5000. iSCSI & NFS too

0 Kudos
Flammenmeer
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

I think that author of this topic, me, and author of another one topic here - http://communities.vmware.com/thread/396289, are all experiencing issue with PSOD which is related (with high probability) with drivers for SAS HBAs, connected to the disk storage from the LSI (OEM).

0 Kudos