VMware Cloud Community
alainrussell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi5 + SAN upgrade

Hi,

We are currently using a Dell MD3000i and 4.1U1, we've ordered a new Equallogic PS4100X and I would like to use vmfs5 on this SAN from the outset - the only issue we have is the MD3000i is not on the VMware HCL for ESXi5. Ideally I don't want to upgrade the vmfs on the new SAN so want to upgrade in the following order:

VCenter

ESXi5

New vmfs (Equallogic)

Move VM's from MD3000i

What are the risks of doing this with the MD3000i not being on the current HCL - will it still work, or would it be too much of a risk?

Thanks

Alain

0 Kudos
6 Replies
PduPreez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi

Here is a post with the same Question: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/327472

My 2 Cents.

I believe this should work fine. I guess they cannot test all the SAN devices ,especially older ones, to add to the compatibility list.

Although it is always better to be safe than sorry

I would try and get a "spare" host and load it with esxi 5.0 present a LUN from the Dell MD3000i and see that it works.

As long as it can see the storage it should be fine, because ESXi 5 will recognize vmfs3 Datastores

So I would do:

vCenter

ESXi 5 (only 1 host to double check)

Present new LUN (format vmfs5)

Move a VM from old to new

If all works

Upgrade the other hosts

regards

Pieter

Please award points if this is helpful or correct. Smiley Happy

alainrussell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Great, thanks for this. Will give it a try as you suggest when the new SAN arrives.

0 Kudos
huwy
Contributor
Contributor

I'd be interested to know how you got on with this Alain as I am looking to do the same?

Thanks,

Huw

0 Kudos
alainrussell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This worked perfectly actually, no issues at all apart from a slightly slower boot (early versions of ESXi5 had an iSCSI boot bug) but that is fixed in the newer version with a patch. We ended up keeping the MD3000i and using it as a backup store for Veeam.

Hope that helps.

Alain

0 Kudos
huwy
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Alain.

0 Kudos
lobo519
Contributor
Contributor

Good to hear - I am in the exact situation and plan to use my MD3000i for Veeam backups as well!

good to hear it all works!

0 Kudos