VMware Cloud Community
PBlackmore
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi5 Problems & Issues

Hi All,

We have upgraded from ESX 4.1 to 5, but have found this to be very buggy and are having the following problems.

A) The Virtual machines can now no longer see the USB devices.  We have tried :
... connecting USB devices via every port on the server;
... connecting USB devices via the vSphere client;
... enabling the USB devices for passthrough from the Advanced Settings on the Configuration tab.  The devices come up as active, but again are not visible to VM's.
    One thing to note, is that you cannot undo this via vSphere or from editing the file.

B) It seems that some things you do on vSphere don't take root on the ESXi server :
... Trying to disable passthrough;
... Trying to permanently enable SSH.  You can enable it, but once the server reboots, it doesn't remember the 'Start with Server' setting and you have to start it manually;

Everything worked fine with 4.1 as soon as we upgraded it all went wrong.

Has anyone had the same issues, has anyone got any fixes?

Currently we are planning on rolling back!!!!!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander

Strange issue. Is that you did a direct upgrade from esxi 4.1 to esxi. If so can you try a clear installtion of esxi5 on the any of the machine and see if this problem occurs..

Thanks & Regards Dharshan S VCP 4.0,VTSP 5.0, VCP 5.0
0 Kudos
PBlackmore
Contributor
Contributor

Yes an upgrade of 4.1 to 5, and no I can't as I only have 1 server.

0 Kudos
vMario156
Expert
Expert

Which esxi image did you use?

Many hardware vendors do offer an "own" modified image, which fits exact to the hardware, brings custum CIM files etc.

Also a complett fresh installation of esxi5 would be a try (like already recommended).

Blog: http://vKnowledge.net
0 Kudos
PBlackmore
Contributor
Contributor

The one we were directed to by VMware.

As I said, I can't do a fresh install.  Everything worked fine before V5.....!!!!!

0 Kudos