VMware Cloud Community
firestartah
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

ESXi5 + OMSA 6.5 UserVars.CIMoemProviderEnabled doesnt appear

Hi

I'm busy trying to install OMSA 6.5 onto my newly installed ESXi5 server and then enable the UserVars.CIMoemProviderEnabled parameter to allow me to connect to openmanage without needing the distributed web server. I've installed OMSA 6.5, twice to be certain and yet the UserVars.CIMoemProviderEnabled parameter doesn't doesn't appear in advanced software settings. Has anyone tried this and got the advanced settings parameter to show up?

Bit of a background for those who may not know the information (blog post forthcoming once get it all working)

Dell OMSA 6.5 with VMware ESXi5 blog post dell.to/qRLXhs

Managed node installation so dont need the DMC bit.ly/gULtJz

Standard VIB esxcli installation steps i've followed:

1 Copy the Dell_OpenManage_ESXi_OM650-offline_bundle-467660.zip

file to the /var/log/vmware folder on the ESXi5.0 server.

2 Shut down all guest operating systems on the ESXi host and run the ESXi

host in maintenance mode.

3 If you are using Windows, navigate to the directory in which you have

installed the vSphere CLI utilities to run the command mentioned

in step 4.

If you are using vSphere CLI on Linux, you can run the command in step 4

from any directory.

4 Run the following command:

esxcli --server <IP Address of ESXi 5.0 host>

software vib install -d /var/log/vmware/<Dell

OpenManage file>

5 Type the root user name and password of the ESXi host when prompted.

The command output displays a successful update.

6 Restart the ESXi host system.

Gregg

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Gregg http://thesaffageek.co.uk
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jbberry
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well, it appears to be working.  I mentioned before about the new "UserVars.CIMvmw_OpenManageProviderEnabled" Uservar, and it appears that may be the way they are doing it with ESXi5.  After installing the OMSA agent mentioned in your post, that Uservar appears.  Upon enabling it, the Dell Management Plugin connects successfully to the OMSA agent.

esxomsa.jpg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
firestartah
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

The blog posting I mentioned

http://thesaffageek.co.uk/2011/09/29/psod-while-trying-to-install-vsphere-esxi5-on-a-dell-poweredge-...

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Gregg http://thesaffageek.co.uk
0 Kudos
lumpy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just wanted to let you know you're both not alone.  I'm trying to figure out the same thing.  I haven't had time to involve VM or Dell support.

However if you open up the  OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-6.5.0-2247.VIB-ESX41i_A01.zip package you will find a file called filelist.xml. Inside that file you will find:

file>/var/lib/sfcb/stage/regs/oem-dcim-interop.reg</file>

<file>/var/lib/sfcb/stage/regs/oem-dcim.reg</file>

Those two lines are not in the file they tell you to download for vSphere 5.  Looks like Dell left it out in the latest v5 download.
jbberry
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've just looked through both vsish and powercli seeing if it was just hidden from the GUI, and couldn't find it in either of them either.

The contents of those two files are:

oem-dcim.reg:

[DCIM_OEM_DataAccessModule]
   provider: TunnelProvider
   type: instance method
   group: dcim
   namespace: root/dcim/sysman

oem-dcim-interop.reg:

[DCIM_RegisteredProfile]
   provider: TunnelProvider
   type: instance
   group: dcim
   namespace: root/interop

0 Kudos
jbberry
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think they might have changed this...

There  is a new option called UserVars.CIMvmw_OpenManageProviderEnabled that  did not exist with the old package but does in vSphere 5, and only after  you have installed the OpenManage VIB

jbberry
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well, it appears to be working.  I mentioned before about the new "UserVars.CIMvmw_OpenManageProviderEnabled" Uservar, and it appears that may be the way they are doing it with ESXi5.  After installing the OMSA agent mentioned in your post, that Uservar appears.  Upon enabling it, the Dell Management Plugin connects successfully to the OMSA agent.

esxomsa.jpg

0 Kudos
firestartah
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Ah awesome! I'll try it out in mine this week and hopefully it's all good

Thanks for responding with that!

0 Kudos