VMware Cloud Community
BurningKrome
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi5: Hardware tab: Sensors not updating

Hey,

I have installed ESXi5 on an IBM x3550 M3 server. Things appear to be fine, except none of the hardware sensors under the Configuration tab appear to be working. (I.e. I have unplugged one of the power supplies, but both say they are plugged in and everything stays green).

The Configuration tab shows all the right hardware components (I.e. right number of fans, power supplies, memory, ETC.) which makes me think it communicating on some level…but when I do something (like pulling a power plug) everything stays green.

I believe this information is populated form the CIM/SMASH framework. This is a related concern because I am also using a python script with pywbem to retrieve this information for Nagios. I am able to successfully access and read data out of the CIMOM…however the data does not update, making the script useless.

Do I need to install/activate/configure an IBM (some other) CIM Agent??ConfigurationTab.JPG

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
abbie11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

no need to install/activate/configure CIM Agent.

This issue may occur if the user ID you used to log has a custom or cloned role.

Switch to the main vCenter Hosts and Clusters view hope solved this problem

Yours, Abbie

Winning!
0 Kudos
BurningKrome
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Abbie,

Thanks for the reply. So, actually, the more important issue may be these sensors providing the correct data when I use WBEM to access them from a remote client (I.e. my python script or another CIM Client GUI such as "CIMNavigator").

I'm using the "vpxuser" for access. I also created an administrative account named "root" which connects and reads the data OK, but (again...still) the data does not update. When I'm looking at the Configuration tab...I'm using vSphere client from a remote windows box. In fact, we don't even have vCenter installed (and are hoping to avoid the need for it).

Which user should I be accessing the CIM data with? Or do I need to create a specialized client? If so, with what settings?

Thanks again for al the help!!

0 Kudos
BurningKrome
Contributor
Contributor

They seem to be updating now. I did not actually change anything I can think of. It may have been an issue with the client accessing the sensor data.  Thanks for all the help!

0 Kudos