VMware Cloud Community
vChr1s
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi4 and vlan help

Hello. I am having difficulty configuring ESXi to use vlans and was wondering if anyone in the community could help out.

Let me first explain a little about our environment. There are many vlans in our environment. The vlan I am in is 90.

Storage -

Out NetApp a single controller with 2 pNICs. On the NetApp side, one virtual interface was created, then 2 vlans, 90 and 101. Vlan 90 is for management and CIFS traffic and vlan 101 is for NFS (vmware storage traffic). On the switch side (HP Procurve), a LACP trunk was created and both vlan 90 and 101 are tagged. vlan 90 has ip of 10.90.10.72 and vlan 101 has ip of 10.90.10.71. From where I am, I can ping .72 and not .71 and when I configure a different port for vlan 101 I get the opposite. Everything seems to be working on the NetApp side

ESXi -

This is a brand new ESXi4 embedded Dell R710 server. It was turned on and configured with an IP address (10.90.10.96). This is the default management port group and vmk0. The server has 8 nics, so I configured the switch side as trunk type "trunk" and trunked 2 ports together. I plugged in vmnic 1 and 6 to the trunk on the switch, and gave vmnic 1 and 6 to vmk0, however right now, vlan 90 is untagged and vlan 101 is set to "no" on the ESXi trunk. A second vmkernel was created with 10.90.10.97 and these NICs connect to a switch port that is on our vlan 90 only. So I should be able to get to it.

It is here I am having a few issues.

- First, and this is likely a seperate post, I can't connect to my storage with any other vmkernel than the default vmk0. Is this by design?

- Second, when I tag both vlan 90 and 101 on the switch side, for the trunk, I lose connectivity to everything, even 10.90.10.97. And I did change to route by IP hash.

Is ther something I'm missing? Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris A. Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
vChr1s
Contributor
Contributor

I got the vlans working. I'll post the remedy when I have a chance.

Chris A. Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.
0 Kudos