VMware Cloud Community
znet98
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi4 U1 can not connect with vSphere 4 client

from my laptop (win XP SP3) I can ping the new installed ESXi4U1 server, also I can ssh into it.

When I launch vSphere4 client, I could not login it, error shows:

vSphere Client could not connect with the vCenter server

Details: A connection failure occurred (Unable to connect to the remote server)

Both laptop and server in same subnet, I can ping gateway, dns from both, also, I can ping host from laptop, can ssh into server from laptop.

I could not telnet port 80 nor 443

Any idea?

thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Are you running any firewalls on you laptop - like Microsofts? It might be blocking some ports that the lcient needs to communicate over -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
znet98
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Searched some articles in here and kb, can not find the solution.

Yes, laptop has disabled MSFT firewall.

0 Kudos
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal

>vSphere Client could not connect with the vCenter server

Windows FW blocks incoming traffic only and allows all outgoing. Check if Windows firewall is running on vCenter.

---

MCSA, MCTS, VCP, VMware vExpert '2009

http://blog.vadmin.ru

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
0 Kudos
znet98
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Spent too much time on this, even called vmware tech support, they could not figure it out either.

I gave up, change this to ESXi3.5 U4, it works perfect.

Also. qLogic 4060c HBA card works with IBM DS under ESXi 3.5 well.

Thanks all

0 Kudos
thatnewguy
Contributor
Contributor

I don't have an answer to this problem but I did narrow it down a little. On Windows Server 2008 (x64), when I disable the Domain Profile Firewall settings on the vCenter server, the client can login.

I have a test vcenter server on a standalone w2k8 server that worked fine. When I went to build a new test vcenter server using Oracle (instead of SQL exp), I joined the new server to a domain before installing vcenter. Anyway, it appears to be related to the domain but not sure how. My firewall rules (inbound/outbound) are the same on both the standalone server and the joined server. Like I said, I disabled the Domain Profile FW rules and I can now connect. I'd prefer to figure out exatcly what rule I need to add/change so I can turn back on my domain profile. If anyone figures this out, please post.

0 Kudos