VMware Cloud Community
DSage
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi4 Install just... dies.

Hi,

I've got a problem where our ESXi 4 install just dies after a random period of time stretching from either 4 hours to 2 days of uptime. When it dies there's nothing. No response to input from the network or physical console, no debug messages and no discernable reason why it's happening. After a reboot, all the logs are erased as well, which means I can't look at them.

My question is how do I begin investigating why this is happening? Is there a way to get ESXi 4 to retain it's logs after a crash/reboot? Is there some secret crash dump that I need to sacrifice my first born to locate and investigate?

Any help would be appreciated.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
scottlowe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm assuming that the hardware upon which this ESXi installation is running is on the Hardware Compatibility List, yes?

Is vCenter Server managing this instance of ESXi? If so, you might try getting the logs from there to try to help determine a root cause of failure.

--

Scott

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You can also configure a syslog location (either a syslog server or datastore) - http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/esx_3i_rcli/vicfg-syslog.php.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos