VMware Cloud Community
beovax
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi4.0 to 4.1 upgrade problem

Hi,

Having a problem upgrading an ESXi host. I was using update manager which worked all OK for 2 other hosts. On this particular host the upgrade took ages and eventually the host went offline.

I waited an hour and tried restarting the managment agents but no joy. The server wouldnt restart cleanly so I had to do a power reset. After the reset it came back as 4.1 - I had to cancel the remediate task in VC, I ran a scan against it but it came back as red - even though it was showing the correct version in the VC client.

I decided to revert to the previous image using using the Shift+R during boot. But now I cant get it to upgrade using update manager. I decided to use the vihostupdate utility using a VMA, this has been running all night with no luck. If I log on directly to the ESXi host (VI client) I can see the following task which has been running for 14 hours now

Name: Check

Initated by: vi-admin00

The host has been rebooted but I still cant get passed this. I could just reload the server but I would be interested in resolving it in case we see it again.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jamesbowling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I would be curious to see if this was caused by some random network blip. Do you see anything in the /var/log/vmware/hostd.log that is around the time you started the upgrade?

If you found this at all helpful please award points by using the correct or helpful buttons! Thanks!

James B. | Blog: http://www.vSential.com | Twitter: @vSential --- If you found this helpful then please awards helpful or correct points accordingly. Thanks!
0 Kudos
beovax
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think I have found the problem. I think the USB key is running out of space.

I think it is a 2GB key, so I need to find out what I can delete to free up some space.

I think the Inital loss of connectivity is due some iSCSI targets going offline, ESX4 and previous versions hates storage being pulled from underneath it.

0 Kudos