VMware Cloud Community
vijay_0812
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi4.0-Installation failed in DL380G6

Hi,

When I tried to install ESXi 4.0 in HP DL380G6 Server. Please help me if there is any specific pre configuration required or specific hardware to be enabled for this installation

1. While installing itself I it is stopping at one screen saying that ”Loading IPMI_SI_DRV”

2. When I tried with ESX3.0, It is giving message like “The Installer was unable to find any supported Network Devices”

3. When I tried it in HP Blade, it was successfully installed.

Note: VT is already enabled in BIOS

Thanks & Regards

Vijay Nalla

0 Kudos
26 Replies
mudha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

i'm seeeing the same issue where esx system hangs during loading ipmi_si_drv module

can anyboday know waht's the resaon for that?

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Did you already try the HP version? https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductsList.do?category=VIRTVMW

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Now available: vSphere 4.0 Quick Start Guide: Shortcuts down the path of Virtualization

Blogging: | Twitter:

0 Kudos
vijay_0812
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

As per the given link, My Server DL380g6 is already in Supported list of ESXi 4. But i am not able install it.

Thanks & Regards

Vijay Nalla

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

The server is on the HCL but are you using the HP version of ESXi? It is very important that you use the HP version!! You can download the HP version from the VMware download page or from the HP download site for your server.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
vijay_0812
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

But it was succefully installed in HP Blade server.

Thanks & Regards

Vijay Nalla

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

It doesn't matter whether it worked somewhere else. Use the HP Version. You won't have all the device monitoring available. You won't have device specific modules. Use the HP version

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Please try the HP version, that's why I added the link to my reply. Seen multiple people mention the same issue but never a solution. You might want to contact support about it. (HP or VMware)

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Now available: vSphere 4.0 Quick Start Guide: Shortcuts down the path of Virtualization

Blogging: | Twitter:

0 Kudos
mudha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Duncan,

Does it has really something to do with HP image? as the module IPMI_SI_DRV is IPMI modaule as it halk to harware directly.

Can you please let us know the technical reson why it's happening? i just rebooted the system and it started working but i did see that IPMI_SI_SRV driver is not loaded.

any insight??

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

IPMI is very specific to hardware. For HP it is the ILO interface. I don't understand why you want to fight the fact that the HP version is important. If you had Dell it would be important to use the Dell version. IBM the IBM version.

Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

HP's IPMI implementation is a bit non-standard thus you should use the HP specific install CD with has some HP specific drivers to handle this.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
mudha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

very true, my question is what does this error mean?? as we are seeing on dell and hp both??root cause??

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Did you use the Dell specific version on the Dell hardware???? What Model Dell.

mudha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

i've seen it with Hp G6 and Del 11 g T610 server also

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Both very new hardware. IPMI is not a standard and every hardware vendor is free to add /remove /change the the components that they access/monitor/control. VMware uses CIM to access the baseboard hardware interface. Individual hardware manufacturers create customized CIM modules that are specific to their hardware. Use the ESXi version specific to the hardware.

I'm guessing that you wouldn't think of trying to install Adaptec drivers for an LSI controller.

0 Kudos
mudha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

please edcute me, CIM interacts with IPMI and IPMI fethced the date from iDRAC or iLO right??

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

No. IPMI is a broad definition of an interface to monitoring and managing a computer independent of the OS. ILO is HPs implementation and iDRAC is Dells implementation. CIM would be more like a driver in that it is a communications interface between the hardware and the OS. The OS talks to the CIM interface and CIM talks directly to the baseboard management controller (ILO or iDRAC).

0 Kudos
vijay_0812
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Friends,

I tried with HP version ESXi 4.0. but no luck, still i am facing the same issue. Please help me.

Thanks & Regards

Vijay

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I would then verify that BIOS, iLO etc are running the latest firmware versions.....

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
vijay_0812
Contributor
Contributor

What are the supported settings in BIOS. should we use HP Start smart CD to deploye this ESX or else should we use ESXi CD directly to install OS?

CENT OS was running in this Server before, now I am trying to instal ESXi.

Thanks & Regards

Vijay

0 Kudos