VMware Cloud Community
blackg
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi won't update past 175625

I have two hosts running ESXi (free version). The Host Update Utility reports that they are up-to-date, but the are version 175625. After some research i'm pretty sure the issue is the cisco NEXUS patch. There were some other users in the forum that were stuck at this version also, but after removing this patch it resolved their issue. VMware's instructions for the removal :http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1012478 are for CLI, which isn't available with the free version. Is there a way to remove this patch without using CLI?

I came across this after attempting to update to U1. I'd rather not do a re-install Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
10 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

> I came across this after attempting to update to U1. I'd rather not do a re-install

You don't have to do a reinstall, download the latest ESXi build, install the host update utility, and use that to update to latest build.

Then repeat the patch (although it shouldn't need any).

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

The CLI is available for all versions of ESX(i). There are restrictions on what is available to you with the free version but you can use it. The rcli tools or the vMA appliance is well worth installing. You can also use the Unsupported Console to access the ESXi host for some maintenance chores.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Deleted

0 Kudos
blackg
Contributor
Contributor

The host update utility only accepts zip files. How would I use the iso?

DSTAVERT - CLI with ESXi free only lets you do read commands. I actually found that out by trial and then confirmed it by looking it up. Thanks for the other advice on the tools. I'm not sure if one of them could easily remove that patch or not. I just finished unloading all of my data so i'm just going to re-install.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

The Host Update Utility will download and install the patches. You want to Select the host you want to patch and click the Scan for Patches button. Once the Utility finds the patches just Click the Patch button. The cli does allow some selected writing. Patches would be one of them.

0 Kudos
blackg
Contributor
Contributor

CLI may do patches (ive never tried), but it wouldn't let me run the commands neccessary to remove/uninstall the NEXUS patch.

I've re-installed from cd so I no longer have to deal with this, but it would be good if VMware released fixes that you could use with the free version.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

The patches work just fine with the free version. I just ran through several yesterday in my lab just to get images.

0 Kudos
blackg
Contributor
Contributor

You missed the part where the Host Update utility was reporting my hosts as up-to-date, but they were not. Since it was reporting my hosts as up-to-date it wouldn't patch ESX to 208167. Again, it seems the problem stems from the Nexus update. This user had the same issue: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/243415?tstart=0

The Host Update Utility would update the Tools to current, but not ESX. This was on both of my hosts.

When I said "fixes" i meant the fix to remove/uninstall the Nexus patch. They should have released a fix for that that free versions could use.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You should always read patches -- Windows, LINUX, APPS and yes VMware -- to see what the patch applies to and only apply the ones that are relevant and that solve a problem. The Host Update utility doesn't differentiate between Free and Licensed. The purpose of the check box beside each patch is so the patch can be deselected. The individual patches have Knowledgebase references and should be referenced. I have watched far too many bluescreens when someone updated a server with a hardware update from Microsoft just because it was listed as needing an update.

0 Kudos
blackg
Contributor
Contributor

yea i've learned from this mistake. these are only development so the only harm done was a few hours of transfering the vm's.

0 Kudos