VMware Cloud Community
whorsfall
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESXi with Windows 7

Hi,

Does anybody know if and when VMWare will fix the issue with the VMWare client not working on Windows 7?

Thanks,

Ward

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Does anybody know if and when VMWare will fix the issue with the VMWare client not working on Windows 7?

Like Troy said, it will be GA later.

Given the way VM Ware works and experience with releases in the past, and 10/22 is the drop dead date (yeah right Microsoft) for Windows 7, that would mean the updates MAYBE in September they MIGHT have the Windows 7 supported by then, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

More likely sometime after the release, once the general public has Windows 7 in their hot little hands and not some MSDN download, that might encourage VM Ware to do something.

I also KNOW VM Ware is using Windows 7 in house, so they are well aware it doesn't work quite right, that's why I believe we could see an update soon, but it depends on management, do they release it knowing it will be generally available soon, or WAIT until AFTER release.

It's a touchy call.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I don't think anyone besides VMware will know the answer to this question and they won't comment on future releases. However, I would tend to believe it should be soon as Windows 7 is coming very close to a public GA

>Microsoft has said it would release Windows 7, the follow-up to Vista, worldwide on Oct. 22.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/170536/microsoft_to_backport_windows_7_ribbon_interfac...

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Like Troy said, it will be GA later.

Given the way VM Ware works and experience with releases in the past, and 10/22 is the drop dead date (yeah right Microsoft) for Windows 7, that would mean the updates MAYBE in September they MIGHT have the Windows 7 supported by then, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

More likely sometime after the release, once the general public has Windows 7 in their hot little hands and not some MSDN download, that might encourage VM Ware to do something.

I also KNOW VM Ware is using Windows 7 in house, so they are well aware it doesn't work quite right, that's why I believe we could see an update soon, but it depends on management, do they release it knowing it will be generally available soon, or WAIT until AFTER release.

It's a touchy call.

0 Kudos
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

just my 2cents, I've tried and tested deployment of WIndows 7 in my ESXi 3.5u4 (long time ago) and iahd to select Vista 64 bit to make it work.

hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

AWT

/* Please feel free to provide any comments or input you may have. */