VMware Cloud Community
jwall04
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi vm shutdown process

This is a two part question.  First, I'm wondering how an ESXi host decides the order in which vms are shutdown when the "Virtual Machine Startup/Shutdown" settings are not configured?  If I shutdown a host with active vms, I know they will be shutdown before the host goes off, but is the order random?

Second, according to the documentation the "Default shutdown delay" is "the maximum time the ESX host will wait for a shutdown command to complete. If the Virtual Machine does not shutdown within the delay time specified a power off is issued to the Virtual Machine."   So this will only come into play if a vm locks up during shutdown or is just slow to shutdown, correct?

I have been testing the process here http://www.techhead.co.uk/how-to-automatically-shut-down-vmware-esxi-gracefully-during-power-failure... to shutdown a free ESXi server using APC PCNS.  I've found the UPS does not get the shutdown command from the Windows vm with PCNS installed unless I crank the "Default shutdown delay" setting up to 900s.  With the default setting of 120s what I think is happening is the host shuts the PCNS vm down before it can send the UPS the shutdown command.  This doesn't really make sense though if the "Default shutdown delay" only comes into play when a vm locks up.

Can anyone else make sense of this?

And once I get this working on an unlicensed ESXi host I want to set it up on our licensed HA/DRS cluster (ie part one of my question). I know that the "proper" way to use PCNS on licensed hosts is to use a vMA but I've been down that path before and had a bad experience so if I can use a Windows vm to accomplish the same thing that's what I'll do

Regards, Jeff
0 Kudos
8 Replies
sa2057
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

0 Kudos
beckham007fifa

tell your version of esx, there are many changes among the versions.

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos
jwall04
Contributor
Contributor

I'm using ESXi 4.1 U2.

Regards, Jeff
0 Kudos
beckham007fifa

Second,  according to the documentation the "Default shutdown delay" is "the  maximum time the ESX host will wait for a shutdown command to complete.  If the Virtual Machine does not shutdown within the delay time specified  a power off is issued to the Virtual Machine."   So this will only come  into play if a vm locks up during shutdown or is just slow to shutdown,  correct?

which isolation have you selected for your HA?

See, the default value for isolation/failure detection is 15 seconds. In  other words the failed or isolated host will be declared dead by the  other hosts in the HA cluster on the fifteenth second and a restart will  be initiated by one of the primary hosts.

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos
jwall04
Contributor
Contributor

Right now I am using a free license of ESXi 4.1 so HA and DRS are not being used.

I guess what I'm asking is if I am understanding the use of the "Default shutdown delay" setting correctly, and that is it only comes into play when a vm locks up?

Regards, Jeff
0 Kudos
CHUNTAO56
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello jwall04

Hope doing great

Please find the below link about vspher startup and shutting down deatils .

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-4-esx-vcenter/index.jsp?topic=/com.vmware.vsphere.vmadmin.doc_41/vsp_...

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world."
0 Kudos
beckham007fifa

with VMware ESXi4.1, I don't think going with the dafault would be so helpful unless you are increasing the isolationtime response to something like say 20sec. I would say use, "leave vm powered on " for HA. This is by default in ESXi5.0.

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos
beckham007fifa

Jeff Wall wrote:

Right now I am using a free license of ESXi 4.1 so HA and DRS are not being used.

I guess what I'm asking is if I am understanding the use of the "Default shutdown delay" setting correctly, and that is it only comes into play when a vm locks up?

nope, its when settings kept as  leave powered on

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos