VMware Cloud Community
nord
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi vSphere 4 Essentials backup solution

Hello,

What is difference between ghettoVCBg2 and ghettoVCB.sh backup scripts? which is better? I need backup solution for one ESXi server,  backuped vms must be on second ESXi server storage to power on them when first ESXi crash.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

There is no real functional difference between the two scripts. ghettoVCB is designed to run locally on the ESXi host directly. ghettoVCB2 is designed to run remotely. You can run the ghettoVCB script on an unlicensed ESXi host. ghettoVCB2 needs a licensed version which you have.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Both scripts assume that you have shared storage or at least an alternate datastore. An NFS datastore is ideal since it can be attached to multiple ESXi hosts.

0 Kudos
jjj0923
Contributor
Contributor

when you say 'licensed' for ghettovcb2 - this means that you have a 'license' (even though free) or you mean a license that you paid for?

please clarify?

thank you

0 Kudos
ChrisDearden
Expert
Expert

the Free version of doesn't allow the remote connections to the API I believe , you would need the paid for version to allow this to work.

If this post has been useful , please consider awarding points. @chrisdearden http://jfvi.co.uk http://vsoup.net
0 Kudos
jjj0923
Contributor
Contributor

thanks - so I guess I've got to stick with plain old ghettovcb. Isn't there a backup capability in the "paid" license of esxi? Since there's alreayd a backup feature in the licensed version why do you need ghettovcb2? - because of it's capabilities to attach to other esxi servers and back up the vm's on that machine?

I really like this capabiliy but can't afford the licensed version. It's a pain to keep setting up ghettovcb on my esxi servers.

thanks

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

The Essential license gives you access to the VCB proxy but you still need some backup solution that can make use of it. The Essentials Plus license gives you access to the vDR backup solution which is in itself a solution. I would always have multiple backup/DR solutions in my Business Continuance strategy. Not all data is created equal and therefore should not be backed up the same. Databases usually require their own treatment as do things like Active Directory. Backup is really not a particularly good word for this planned recovery or survival plan process.

I do use ghettoVCB along with vDR and several other tools. I don't understand how ghettoVCB is a pain to set up. If you place your scripts on a shared storage folder the script and all the associated files should be visible across all your hosts. If you set up SSH passwordless keys you should be able to trigger the ghettoVCB script from a central location.

0 Kudos
jjj0923
Contributor
Contributor

does this negate that?

http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vcli/

in addition - can version 4.0 before ESXi Update 4 (U4) allow me to do this with a free license?

is there anywhere the 4.0 version iso can still be downloaded?

thanks

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You really should create a fresh discussion of your own when you have questions. At some point it becomes dificult to find the solution to the original question.

The vCLI only allows read with the exception of the vihostupdate script. No start or stop commands etc. You can download the 4.0 versions from the 4.1 link if you expand the View History link.

0 Kudos