VMware Cloud Community
Brab_Leonp
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi v7 RTM upgrade to v7u2c, then to v7u3

Hi,

At the company, we are gearing up to upgrade from vSphere 6.7u3 to vSphere 7 and did some testing and preparation on a single host with ESXi v7 RTM installed. This host has one datastore connected with iSCSI for VM storage and one datastore connected with NFS for ISO storage.

I did a manual install of the v7u2c for this host using esxcli and the depot zip file for u2c. After a normal install and reboot, the iSCSI datastore was not connected anymore. At first we saw issues posted about the switch from nmp to hpp plugin for path selection, but this was not the case. We did revert to v7 RTM again to try and get back to a working situation. The partition table was gone from the datastore and I had to manually recreate the partition table, before it could be mounted again.

Because of security issues, I performed the upgrade again after unmounting the iSCSI datastore and it still removed the partition table, which again had to be manually recreated.

Recently v7u3 was released and I decided to try the update again, this time disabling the access to the iSCSI datastore (after turning everything off). The upgrade went fine, except this time the NFS datastore was unaccessible. The NFS server actively refused the connection and because this ISO datastore is shared with other server, we found out the NFS service was misbehaving and had to be restarted.

For this environment, it's not a big deal, it's a test server. For our production environment, the upgrade would be clean installs of the ESXi hosts, that shouldn't be a problem. But my concern is that subsequent updates through the lifecycle manager for these hosts could cause the same issues, if datastores got damaged there, we would have downtime.

I haven't found much information in my search, which is why i try to post it here. Has anyone had these problems with upgrading? Anyone know if these problems occur with lifecycle manager?

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
0 Replies