VMware Cloud Community
kevincatherines
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi v6.5 to v8.0 - Cluster Upgrades

Hello all,

First post here, hoping I can get some insight from people better informed than myself!

I have a client that is running two clusters (let's call them A and B). Cluster A is for web/apps, and Cluster B hosts the various DB's at their core functions (there is other surrounding software on Windows/Linux too). 

Said clusters are both running older Dell hardware that is now out of warranty and is due for an upgrade, and both clusters communicate via iSCSI to a Dell SAN. Both are running ESXi 6.5.

I've been tasked with building out replacement Dell hardware for the rack which isn't an issue. I'm hoping that I can build out the new servers/SAN and other parts to the rack next to the existing one, using ESXI 8.0 as the baseline for both new clusters. Then I would like to join those clusters to the old site so that I can vMotion the VM's over to their respective new Clusters. Then once confirmed that all is up and running, decommission the old hardware (Clusters A and B). (Technically we need to get some of these VM's upgraded, but that's another story).

I know that support is ensured during an upgrade window, which we would aim to keep to within a few weeks. What I would like to know is if I CAN go straight in with ESXi 8.0, and/or will I have any issues when bringing over the VM's from the ESXi 6.5 hosts? Or would this be easier to manage moving the VM's from from say 6.5 to 7.x hosts?

I'm planning this all out so would like any information or advice that can be given. Thank you in advance!

Regards, Kevin

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kinnison
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

@kevincatherines, hi,

Personally, in a production context I tend to always be as cautious as possible, especially when the starting point is somehow "obsolete". I mean, if I have recently out of warranty hardware (which is other than saying it's no longer supported) I doubt I would have stuck to the ESXi / vCenter version 6.5 combo to this day, unless a whole set of circumstances it shouldn't have prevented me.

That's why I agree with the opinion of @maksym007, if there are no obstacles with the old cluster (but you have to be sure) I'll probably update them them to the latest build of ESXi / vCenter version 7.0U3 but then I would stop here (your plan is to decommission them). New clusters however are a different thing so if starting from scratch how to do things is often just a matter of choices.

The point of my speech is that only you know the IT context in which you are operating so as well as opinions (which are worth what they are worth) I don't believe we can go further. If I were you, I would seek advice from a VMware partner / consultant, in order to receive relevant advice and/or support to make your migration plan as transparent and effective as possible.

Regards,
Ferdinando

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
maksym007
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

With all my love for VMware, I still recommend making an upgrade to vSphere 7 update3, taking into consideration the fact that you have a PROD environment. The existing version of ESXi 8.0, let's say, is freshly cooked and I will not give any guarantee - that it will work stable. 

I would recommend upgrading the environment to vSphere8 somewhere in June/August 2023. That is also my personal plan.

Kinnison
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

There is an article that I think you might be interested in entitled: "vSphere 8 Upgrade Scenarios" and which you can consult here: https://core.vmware.com/resource/vsphere-8-upgrade-scenarios . I also think we should also take into consideration the concrete support for the recent version 8 by any other used third-party products.

Then I agree with @maksym007's observations.

Regards,
Ferdinando

kevincatherines
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@maksym007 Truth be told I'm not one for moving to the latest and greatest typically. I've only recently started pushing Windows Server 2022 for our solution design to be honest! The difference is I've come from a Hyper-V primary house, but my new job is VMware primary, and whilst I'm familiar with it, I'm by no means an expert!

0 Kudos
kevincatherines
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@Kinnison Thanks for this, very helpful and similar to one I've looked at in the past I believe! Looks like updating the v6.5 vCenter and then v6.5 Hosts to 6.7U3, backing up, then pushing to v8.0 is the proper order of things.

As @maksym007 pointed out though, I'm not really sure if just moving to v7.0U3 is the better option for the short term? I was then thinking of advising the client of a mid-term upgrade to 8.0 as a second phase next year. Would this be a good course of action? Would you agree?

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

@kevincatherines, hi,

Personally, in a production context I tend to always be as cautious as possible, especially when the starting point is somehow "obsolete". I mean, if I have recently out of warranty hardware (which is other than saying it's no longer supported) I doubt I would have stuck to the ESXi / vCenter version 6.5 combo to this day, unless a whole set of circumstances it shouldn't have prevented me.

That's why I agree with the opinion of @maksym007, if there are no obstacles with the old cluster (but you have to be sure) I'll probably update them them to the latest build of ESXi / vCenter version 7.0U3 but then I would stop here (your plan is to decommission them). New clusters however are a different thing so if starting from scratch how to do things is often just a matter of choices.

The point of my speech is that only you know the IT context in which you are operating so as well as opinions (which are worth what they are worth) I don't believe we can go further. If I were you, I would seek advice from a VMware partner / consultant, in order to receive relevant advice and/or support to make your migration plan as transparent and effective as possible.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
kevincatherines
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you @Kinnison. Very much appreciated. I'll see about talking to our partner at our parent company. But for now, this has given me something to go on! I suppose a sanity check was all I needed really 🙂

0 Kudos