VMware Cloud Community
JaapL
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi v6.0.0 & GNS3 VM (.ova) > How to enable KVM - expose hardware assisted virtualization to the guest OS

Hi all,

I 've got ESXi 6.0.0 installed on mb MS X99S SLI Plus, MS-7885, with a Intel i7-5820K.

Installed GNS3 VM via the .ova file.

Booting it and the "KVM support available: False" appeared.

Shutted down the GNS3 VM and with the desktop client edited the VM settings under "Options" -CPU/MMU Virtualization" to "Use Intel VT-x/AMD-V for instruction set virtualization and Intel EPT/AMD RVI for MMU virtualization".

Booted the GNS3 VM but the state is still "False".

Can't use the web client like under Esxi 6.5 and as it is a homelab I do not have vCenter to use its web client.

What am I doing wrong and should I do?

Thanx Jaap

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello JaapL,

Looks similar to issue here:

https://www.gns3.com/qa/gns3-vm-your-cpu-does-not-suppor

"

I'm running Vsphere 6U2, and had the same issue with the latest GNS3 VM (1.5a2?). Things to check: Is intel vt-x enabled in bios? In VMWare: Click "edit settings". at the second tab at the top look for advanced; CPUID mask: select Expose NX Flags CPU/MMU Virtualisation select the last option for Intel VTX + Intel EPT! After this remove the GNS3 VM from your inventory (do NOT delete from disk. Browse to your Datastore and download the .vmx file for your VM. This file contains various info of your VM. You can download this and edit this .VMX file and add hypervisor.cpuid.v0 = "FALSE" vhv.enable= "TRUE"

After altering your .vmx upload the file to your datastore / where your VM is located and overwrite the old one. Then do right click to add to inventory.

"

So try changing those additional configuration:

- CPU/MMU Virtualisation Intel VTX + Intel EPT (as you did already)

- CPUID mask: select Expose NX Flags

- Edit the .vmx of the VM (either by downloading, editing with text editor or via CLI with vi) adding (or replacing if present) lines for:

hypervisor.cpuid.v0 = "FALSE"

vhv.enable= "TRUE"

- Re-register the VM after editing the vmx

Are you running anything else nested like VirtualBox at the same time? If so then try powering this down and test the GNS3 box.

Bob

-o- If you found this comment useful please click the 'Helpful' button and/or select as 'Answer' if you consider it so, please ask follow-up questions if you have any -o-

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello JaapL,

Looks similar to issue here:

https://www.gns3.com/qa/gns3-vm-your-cpu-does-not-suppor

"

I'm running Vsphere 6U2, and had the same issue with the latest GNS3 VM (1.5a2?). Things to check: Is intel vt-x enabled in bios? In VMWare: Click "edit settings". at the second tab at the top look for advanced; CPUID mask: select Expose NX Flags CPU/MMU Virtualisation select the last option for Intel VTX + Intel EPT! After this remove the GNS3 VM from your inventory (do NOT delete from disk. Browse to your Datastore and download the .vmx file for your VM. This file contains various info of your VM. You can download this and edit this .VMX file and add hypervisor.cpuid.v0 = "FALSE" vhv.enable= "TRUE"

After altering your .vmx upload the file to your datastore / where your VM is located and overwrite the old one. Then do right click to add to inventory.

"

So try changing those additional configuration:

- CPU/MMU Virtualisation Intel VTX + Intel EPT (as you did already)

- CPUID mask: select Expose NX Flags

- Edit the .vmx of the VM (either by downloading, editing with text editor or via CLI with vi) adding (or replacing if present) lines for:

hypervisor.cpuid.v0 = "FALSE"

vhv.enable= "TRUE"

- Re-register the VM after editing the vmx

Are you running anything else nested like VirtualBox at the same time? If so then try powering this down and test the GNS3 box.

Bob

-o- If you found this comment useful please click the 'Helpful' button and/or select as 'Answer' if you consider it so, please ask follow-up questions if you have any -o-

0 Kudos
JaapL
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Bob,

Thanx a lot. Adding the lines to the .vmx-file did the trick.

Greetz Jaap

Things to do:

- Check in BIOS of host that Intel VT-x is enabled.

- Shutdown GNS3 VM

- Edit VM settings, select tab Options and select

> CPU/MMU Virtualisation Intel VTX + Intel EPT

> CPUID mask: select Expose NX Flags

- Remove the GNS3 VM from your inventory (do NOT delete from disk)

- Browse to your Datastore and download the .vmx-file for your VM. This file contains various info of your VM. You can download this and edit this .VMX file

> hypervisor.cpuid.v0 = "FALSE"

> vhv.enable= "TRUE"

- Upload the edited .vmx-file to the datastore

- Right-click the just edited/uploaded .vmx-file and select Add to inventory

0 Kudos
usernew2017
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Please I am beginner  , how to edit CPUID on VMware workstation12.  I do not found it that option

0 Kudos