VMware Cloud Community
jman177
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi v5.0 - Out of space error with more than 40GB of space reamaining

I am currently running ESXi v5.0 setup in RAID5 with 146GBx3 (Total: 268.50GB)

I have added 2 virtual machines running all with thick

VM Machine 1 - HD1 Thin Provision (200GB Provisioned Size)

VM Machine 2 - HD1 Thin Provision  (33.91GB Provisioned Size)

VM Machine 2 - HD2 Thin Provision  (13566 GB Provisioned Size)

I then moved a VM Machine 3 from previous ESXi v5.0 to this ESXi v5.0 using "VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Client v5.0.1 Build-875114" (Thin Provision) which all went fine & has been running fine for many weeks.

But this morning I come in and see all the virtual machines stopped due to no space left I then checked the Vsphere Client & it said I had 40GB/268.50GB free in "Summary" - "Storage" & also in "Configuration" - "Storage" section.

Any ideas why this has occurred & how to minimize this happening again?

(I am still testing this but I think the cause was that ESXi free space did not change after using VMware vCenter Converter to add VM Machine 3)

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I never did a "Rescan All" is this not an automatic thing that should occur at least once a week or something?

They refresh periodically, but can sometimes get "sticky" and not update. The manual rescan (or two or three) will often refresh - I was just curious if you are really out of space of have 40GB free. You might also want to use the ESXi Shell to investigate.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
jman177
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry I meant

VM Machine 2 - HD2 Thin Provision  (135.66 GB Provisioned Size)

NOT

VM Machine 2 - HD2 Thin Provision  (13566 GB Provisioned Size)

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello and welcome to the communities.

Did you rescan the datastores to see if the reported values changed?

With thin provisioning, it becomes critical to have some sort of monitoring to keep watch on the datastore free space. vCenter includes alarms, but if you don't have this you might have to look to 3rd-party utilities or a scripted solution.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
jman177
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick reply.

I use spiceworks to monitor the disk space & advise me when it drops to 10% never got an email & spiceworks scans every 15 minutes and spiceworks still thought it had 40GB free which is why an alert was not sounded.

This is the event logs I got in VSphere ESXi

=====================================================================================

User root@192.168.0.21 logged in
info
28/02/2013 7:03:35 AM
root
Message on Machine1: There is no more
space for virtual disk Machine1.vmdk
. You might be able to continue this session by
freeing disk space on the relevant volume, and
clicking Retry. Click Cancel to terminate this
session.
info
28/02/2013 5:37:50 AM
EX-MAIL-2010
User
Message on Machine2 (192.168.0.
45): There is no more space for virtual disk
Machine2.vmdk. You might be
able to continue this session by freeing disk space
on the relevant volume, and clicking Retry. Click
Cancel to terminate this session.
info
28/02/2013 3:11:27 AM
VM-WEBServer-2008Test (192.168.0.45)
User
======================================================================

Even in ESXi alerts there was warning that it was going out of space as there was only 1 alert saying "out of space"

I never did a "Rescan All" is this not an automatic thing that should occur at least once a week or something?

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

They refresh periodically, but can sometimes get "sticky" and not update. The manual rescan (or two or three) will often refresh - I was just curious if you are really out of space of have 40GB free. You might also want to use the ESXi Shell to investigate.

0 Kudos
jman177
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks vmroyale for your help.

Will run re-scans on my other ESXi servers I have but I do think that the issue was after using VMware converter to move ESXi v5.0 to ESXi v5.0 that it never rescanned Smiley Sad

I will also check out the ESXi shell but I think I will call this closed becuase I can just manually run the re-scans if necessary.

Finally if I can prove that VMware converter was the cause of the issue I will see if I can submit a bug request to them.

Also on a seperate note is it worth upgraded all my ESXi v5.0 to ESXi v5.1 and is there much of a risk?

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'd say the risk is about the same as applying the regular patches that come out for vSphere 5. Definitely check out the release notes for 5.1, and also make sure that your hardware is still listed in the VMware HCL.

0 Kudos
jman177
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks again vmroyale.

It appears the ProLiant DL360 G5 (Intel 5160) only support 5.0 U2 so looks like I cannnot go higher even though I have a single upgraded DL360 G5 (Intel 5160) runnning ESXi v 5.1 for many months without any noticable issues but it is only a test server to get access to Windows 8 Support Smiley Happy

It's odd though that they don't talk about E5430/E5435/E5335 but guessing they have to draw the line at some point otherwise they will be there for weeks writing the hardware requirement lists so far been running ESXi v5.0 on E series for 4-6 months now & it works fine.

0 Kudos