VMware Cloud Community
YUAN_RUI
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi using hard disk very slow

I use ESXi + vCenter at home.
I have 1.92TB NVME SSD x 4, 16TB HDD x 8 on each machine (x3)

For windows/linux, the speed of a single hard disk is 200MB/s
On ESXi, the speed of using cp to copy files to HDD is only 20MB/sI know that ESXi uses sync to write data to vmdk for data security, but is there a way to disable this sync operation?

I have a UPS at home that can power the server for 12 hours., I'm not really concerned about power outages.

The best solution seems to be to buy a RAID card with caching + BBU, which I'm considering.

ESXi is great, but for this reason I had to install a machine as proxmox, which only had 1 SSD and 1 HDD, and only had the SATA controller that came with the motherboard.

I have purchased vmware vsphere essentials kit. In addition to the slow HDD, I am also worried about the data reliability of NVME (proxmox has zfs), and I am hesitant to replace all the machines with proxmox.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> The best solution seems to be to buy a RAID card with caching + BBU, which I'm considering.

That's definitely the way to go!

André

0 Kudos
battybishop
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Definitely worth buying the RAID card with caching, you've bought the VMware licence so you've got support available have you purchased the support for proxmox?

0 Kudos
YUAN_RUI
Contributor
Contributor

vmware vsphere essentials does not come with support

0 Kudos