VMware Cloud Community
justinwub
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi server doesn't get a new IP via DHCP after I switch to another router

I'm running ESXi server on the HP Gen8 micro server. It connects with one router (network 192.168.52.1) and its mgmt IP is 192.168.52.119 which was assigned by DHCP.

I have another router (network 192.168.53.1), and I switch ESXi server network to the this router, but it's strange that the mgmt IP doesn't change accordingly.

BTW, there's VMs still running during the switch, and I didn't reboot the ESXi server.

1674396575728.jpg

1674396649788.jpg

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm not sure how often ESXi tries to verify/renew a DHCP lease.
What you may try, is to try renewing the DHCP lease from the DCUI (the host's console), e.g. through restarting the Management Network.

André

0 Kudos
justinwub
Contributor
Contributor

I just can't. After switching the router, I cannot find the mgmt IP in the DHCP IP list of the other router. So I cannot login and do nothing 😞

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Well, use the console of your ESXi host and then restart the management network as @a_p_ suggested.
If I may, but why don't you give your ESXi host a static IP address, you would save yourself "certain problems".

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
DCasota
Expert
Expert

Hi,

here some suggestions.

Allow dhcp IPv6.

With access to ESXi dcui, press alt-F12 to display vmkernel.log. Look for network related issue messages.

With access to ESXi dcui, double check if devices in 'network adapters' are selected (status=connected). In case of a vusb physical adapter, double check the vswitch settings. Press Edit settings and press Save button to ensure vusb binding.

0 Kudos
compdigit44
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you tried to stop and start the management services on the host via the console?

0 Kudos