VMware Cloud Community
cpimpl
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi reboot required right after update or later

Dear all !
If I update ESXi host via "esxcli software vib update -d..." is it required to do the reboot (if reboot is required) right away or can the reboot be postponed for e.g. a few hours ?

Many thx for your knowledge and thoughts !

Kind regards
Christian

0 Kudos
6 Replies
maksym007
Expert
Expert

No, a reboot is required right after the command and confirmation from ESXi that a reboot is needed. 

0 Kudos
cpimpl
Contributor
Contributor

Many thx !
However in ESXi Shell there was no info/message that reboot is required; I updated various ESXi hosts to 7.0 U3n today using "VMware-ESXi-7.0U3n-21930508-depot.zip" and I asked myself if I can update at e.g. noon but reboot ESXi hosts later in the evening.

Thx for clarification !

Kind regards
Christian

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Sachchidanand
Expert
Expert

Please find below the two documents that are used to update or determine if host to be rebooted or not depends on the type of installation:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.esxi.upgrade.doc/GUID-22A4B153-CB21-47B4-97...

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.esxi.upgrade.doc/GUID-B21C1C99-E6D5-4719-A5...

Regards,

Sachchidanand

0 Kudos
cpimpl
Contributor
Contributor

Many thx for your reply.

Of course I did this check before and as there are many vib packages involved in the depot some of them are installable online (do not require reboot) and some are not (require reboot)...means a mixture.

My question is - if a reboot is required - if this reboot needs to take place right away or can be done later (as with Windows Updates).As said the update process did not show any "please reboot" message at the end.

Kind regards

Christian

0 Kudos
Sachchidanand
Expert
Expert

Please check the output of the following command and see if reboot is really required:

vim-cmd hostsvc/hostsummary| grep -i reboot

Check for the parameter "rebootRequired" is true or false.

It is advisable to reboot host after update as some changes may take place after reboot. If it is not asking for the reboot instantly, you may reboot it later (during downtime window). In that case changes will take effect after the reboot.

Regards,

Sachchidanand

0 Kudos
Mortuza1
Contributor
Contributor

reboot needs to take place right away