VMware Cloud Community
zdawg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi problem with VM's and internet access

First let me say that I'm new to ESXi, my only previous experience with VMware over the years was running VMware workstation.

I've recently installed ESXi 4.1 in my test lab, had 5.1 prior but since we're going to be doing a migration at work thought I'd simulate it at home first (well the engineers that work for me will be performing the work but I want to educate myself along the way).  I have two barebone physical hosts (with attached storage) and when they were running ESXi 5.1, all VM's had no issues accessing the internet (behind my router and cable modem) at all - all I had to do was assign the hosts IP's and VM's IP's and everything was fine. 

Now that I've intsalled 4.1 none of the VM's can access the internet.  So I currently have one host running 5.1 and 4.1, I've compared any and all settings I could see and there is absolutely no difference.  If fact, I can ping VM's from 5.1 to 4.1 and vice-versa, I can ping the physical hosts back and forth, can ping the gateway from both, etc etc - for whatever reason I just can't access the internet from anything running off the 4.1 host.

The only thing I can think of is that there is something that needs to be manually configured on 4.1 that doesn't have to be specially configured in 5.1, but I have no idea what.  Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

there's nothing on the ESXi host which prevents a VM from accessing any network resources (including Internet). Did you configure the VM's network settings manually or do you use DHCP? Did you double check the settings for mismatches, typos... in the subnet, gateway and DNS server settings?

How did you setup the ESXi host's network?

André

0 Kudos
zdawg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I did everything manually, included adding a static IP for the VM in question.  I even compared the 4.1 host with the 5.0 host's information and they are the same (except the static IP address), and I compared a VM from the 4.1 host and a VM from the 5.0 host and same thing.

One thing I noticed is that from the VM on the 5.0 host, I can ping the 4.1 host and I can ping the VM that lives on the 4.1 host.  From the VM on the 4.1 host I can ping the 5.0 host, however I cannot ping the VM that lives on the 5.0 host.  This likely has something to do with the issue, which is why I was wondering if ESXi 4.1 does something dramatically different from 5.0 when it comes to networking related stuff.  I will continue to investigate and see what I can come up with.

0 Kudos
zdawg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok, so for another test I set both the VM on the ESXi 5.0 host and the 4.1 host to DHCP.  The VM on the 5.0 host received a proper IP address for my internal network (my router acts as a DHCP server/NAT) and has the correct subnet mask 255.255.255.0, while the VM on the 4.1 host received an auto IP 169.254.x.x has an incorrect subnet mask 255.255.0.0.  Obivously 4.1 must have issues with the router, although I'm not sure what else I can do from here.  

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

What type/model of router do you use? If it is a 100MBIt/s router you can try to set a fixed speed on the ESXi host.

André

0 Kudos
zdawg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Its a D-Link DGL-4500, I'll have to take a look and play around with it a bit later today when I get home from work.

0 Kudos