VMware Cloud Community
JinjiroSan
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi picks unlogical path when using separate subnets for storage vMotion networks

Hi all,

Hope you have fresh insights or can help me figure this out. I have moved from a single storage subnet to splitting the storage network into two subnets due to inconsistent performance issues, random dead paths and other issues.

I have three ESXi 6.7 nodes connected over two 10Gb switches (QNAP QSW-M1208-8C) to two storage arrays (QNAP TS-451DeU). The storage arrays have two 2.5Gb ports. I have iperf3 verified that each link is around 2.45 Gbits/s as expected.

I have created two separate subnets (yellow and orange). Each node has a dedicated vmnic, vmk port group to each subnet for vMotion using the vMotion TCP/IP stack. Management is on the default TCP/IP stack using a separate vmk and vmnic.

Storage Network.png

The problem

A Storage vMotion dus not use the most logical path from Storage A port 2 over the orange network to Storage B port 2. It is using the path from Storage A port 1 (yellow network) out over yellow gateway to the orange gateway and then to Storage B port 1.

You have to fill-in a gateway for each vmk adapter otherwise it does not perform a storage vmotion at all. The gateway goes over a 1 Gbps connection so it results in a throughput of 0.23 Gbits/s instead of a 2.5 Gbits/s link.

I've attached a couple of screenshots from node 2 (others are identical except for IP's ofc).

I really do not want to put in a 10Gb router as a single point of failure to make this work. Probably missing something super obvious but for the life of me can't figure out what 🙂

How can I make vCenter use the preferred route (A2 to B1, or B2 to A1) ?

-- EDIT ---

I also tried VMkernal Adapters on the normal TCPIP stack (separated from management) and setting the vMotion, Provisioning, Replication services. Same result.

0 Kudos
0 Replies