VMware Cloud Community
mrodrigu
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi on usb embedded hypervisor

I have installed ESXi 4.0 on an IBM x3650M2 successfully. As I realized the OS was installed on the hard disks. But this server has an usb embedded hypervisor flash device. My question is, what I have to do to install the OS in the flash device instead of installing it on the hard disks?. In the installation process I did not get any option to install it on the hard disk or on the flash device. Thanks in advanced.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

If ESXi is already installed on an internal Flash device you may just need to enable the USB device or change the boot order to be the USB device in the server BIOS. A standard ESXi 4 install should present the USB device if it is available. If multiple bootable devices are available like hard drives and USB it should present them all as installation targets.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
mrodrigu
Contributor
Contributor

I'm pretty sure it is not installed in the internal usb flash. I already changed the boot order and it didn't boot from the flash.

I didn't have that option to choose the location in the installation part, so, should I suppose that I don't have any flash device installed?

Have you installed the ESXi on a flash device?, if so... did you get any option?

Thanks again

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

If the server does have an internal USB port I would have a look to see if a USB flash drive is installed. If not you can easily add one. I don't know if IBM has a recommended supplier list for USB devices. If it does I would choose something from the list but any quality USB device should be fine. ESXi only requires 1GB to install although it is very difficult to find anything that small.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I only use USB or SD for installing ESXi. During the install ESXi shows all the devices it finds that it can install to. If USB is available you can choose it.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

If the system has a valid USB flash drive to use then the ESXi installer will display it as a valid destination. You might also want to check that the BIOS will treat the USB device as a fixed HD.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
mrodrigu
Contributor
Contributor

If I don't have any usb flash (I'm going to check this with the hw provider), does install ESXi on this server make sense?Maybe I should install the normal ESX.

In other words, do I have any advantage installing ESXi on a server without the flash device?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

ESXi comes in two flavours - embedded and installable (i.e. for HDs). You can see this kb article http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1015000 to see the differences between ESXi and ESX but the lack of a USB flash drive doesn't mean you need to go with ESX. If you're Ok with the differences then I would stick with ESXi.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

The IBM website lists your server as available with a USB flash disk with ESXi 4 preinstalled

IBM USB Memory Key for VMware ESXi 4 (1776) [http://add $75.00|http://add $75.00] 

For full support with your server, both IBM and VMware, that would definitely be the way to go.

0 Kudos