VMware Cloud Community
rgadelha
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi not showing local disks after patch

Hi,

We got some HP ProLiant Gen9 boxes running ESXi 6.0 Update 2.

Today I've applied ESXi-6.0.0-20170604001-standard patch and rebooted the server. There was no issues during the patching process at all.

But after ESXi got rebooted, the local disks are not going to be shown on vSphere client. Also an alert about non-persistent syslog are shown.

This is a totally odd situation, because apparently the RAID controller is detected during boot, but after ESXi is loaded, there are no local disks being shown, and we are unable to access it also via SSH, as it doesn't appears as a mounted device / vmfs volume.

After rolling back the update, we got local disks showing again.

I am thinking in reapply this update without installing the scsi-hpsa vib which I think that could be the problem as it was reported in an KB about causing controller detection issues, but it was on 6.0U1:

VMware ESXi 6.0 host fails to detect local disk after patching or applying Update 1 on HP Proliant G...

So, have someone any clue about this case?

Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AishR
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This is known issue as mentioned in the KB 2120539.  Currently there is no resolution. Follow the workaround mentioned the KB to workaround this issue.

0 Kudos