VMware Cloud Community
jhmc93
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi no network device found

Hello every time I try to install esxi 7.0 I get an error saying " no network device found " can someone help? thanks

Labels (1)
  • ee

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

need more to go on than that

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Check here for NIC compatibility: https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=io

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
jhmc93
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I'm new to all this

When I install the esxi I get the following message

Screenshot: 

0 Kudos
vxprthu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HI,

There could be many reasons for your issue, but it looks driver issue. (if we assume that have network card in your machine)

First, please check that your hardware is on the compatibility list (link was already shared before)

Second, if the server is on the list, and you are aware of the hardware vendor, please download and use the vendor specific esxi installer image. It can be downloaded from VMware or the vendor site as well.

Third, if the hardware is not supported, you may try the community nic driver from flings site.

Otherwise, please share more details for better understanding you environment.

Blog: vxprt.hu
0 Kudos
jhmc93
Contributor
Contributor

My network driver is a Realtek,

i have installed windows 10 and that’s what my driver is shown as,

like I said before I’m new to this so help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Realtek isn't listed as a brand in the compatibility tool I linked to before, if you had used the link you would know that.

Screenshot 2022-07-28 at 14.17.39.png

So they're not supported. Add an additional NIC to your system which is supported.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
ptarnawski
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

From the description looks like you are building a home lab as you mentioned Windows 10 and Realtek driver. If I suspect correctly , do you use workstation pro or virtual box? 

Have you added NIC to your ESXi? 

Have you created your virtual network? 

Have a look here: installing ESXI on the local PC 

Visit my blog:AngrySysOps.com
YT: AngryAdminYoutube
Visit my:Xwitter

If my answer has successfully addressed your issue, kindly mark it as RESOLVED. If it has provided valuable assistance, consider giving it a KUDOS. Thanks
0 Kudos
jhmc93
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, 

Sorry for the confusion,

I installed windows 10 to see what network driver I was using on the PC.

I am trying to install ESXi on a freshly formatted hard drive but run into the above problem.

I hope this makes more sense

Regards

0 Kudos
ptarnawski
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Where are you installing ESXi, on the bare metal server or on a Workstation?

If my answer has successfully addressed your issue, kindly mark it as RESOLVED. If it has provided valuable assistance, consider giving it a KUDOS. Thanks
0 Kudos
jhmc93
Contributor
Contributor

one of these: 

0 Kudos
ptarnawski
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

ok, then there is a compatibility issue with your network card as previously mentioned. Try maybe to search for different drivers for a network card. 

0 Kudos
jhmc93
Contributor
Contributor

Great,

so there’s no work around?

0 Kudos
vxprthu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is a desktop pc, direct esxi install/run is not supported.

You may try to add a compatible  PCI Network card, or try the community network driver.

But i recommend to install a windows and use vmware workstation.

Blog: vxprt.hu
0 Kudos
ptarnawski
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

there is one: 

create a custom ISO with the drivers of your particular Realtek or any other NIC

here: 

https://williamlam.com/2022/02/how-to-create-a-customized-esxi-iso-without-vcenter-server.html

0 Kudos
jhmc93
Contributor
Contributor

I used the instructions found in this link:

https://4sysops.com/archives/using-esxi-iso-image-builder-with-vmware-vsphere-70-update-2/

I used VMware workstation to do all this

I am still clueless how to add my network to the iso.

regards

0 Kudos
ptarnawski
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

With Workstation, it will work! 

I am using Realtek with Workstation and built a home lab.

realtek.png 

So once you have Workstation up and running follow this : 

https://angrysysops.com/2022/03/12/build-a-home-lab-using-your-local-pc-part-1-installing-esxi-serve...

0 Kudos
jhmc93
Contributor
Contributor

Do I need the ip bit at the beginning?

0 Kudos