VMware Cloud Community
RomanB1005
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESXi network redundancy

Hello All

I would like to ask some questions regarding my network design.

I  use small blade solution from DELL. (Dell VRTX).

Currently we have two blade servers M620 in HA cluster installed with ESXi 5.5 with Essential plus licence.

I did decision to make my network setup more redundant.

Every blade has two-port 10gb LOM connected to internal switch (I/O module inside Blade chassis) and additionaly connected two-port PCI Network cards.

In attachement you can find my network design layout.

LAYOUT EXPLANATION

NIC1,NIC2 = LOM

NIC3,NIC4 = PCI CARD

NIC1+NIC3 = Kernel Ports (NIC 1 - Standby adapter)

NIC2*NIC4 = Standart ports (NIC2 - Standby adapter)

VSWITCH1 = Used for V-MOTION , MANAGEMENT NETWORK , (same network as our LAN network , VLAN7)

VSWITCH2 = MPLS Network for branch offices with 3 VLans

RED CONNECTION = untaged vlan 7 traffic

BLUE CONNECTION = Trunk (VLAN1,2,3)

GREEN CONNECTION = Trunk (VLAN 1,2,3,7)

BB SWITCH is two node stucked switch.

I would like to ask if my design is correct.

Thanks in Advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi Roman,

First, I would split management and vMotion traffic into seperate VLANs. I've seen some vMotion process going wild, I like to keep that seperated 😉

So you could use NIC1 for management, with NIC3 on standby for that and use NIC3 for vMotion with NIC1 on standby.

Second I would recommend to use NIC2 and NIC4 in active/active mode, so you actually use the second card for load balancing the VM network traffic and not wasting it in standby mode.

Cheers

Tim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi Roman,

First, I would split management and vMotion traffic into seperate VLANs. I've seen some vMotion process going wild, I like to keep that seperated 😉

So you could use NIC1 for management, with NIC3 on standby for that and use NIC3 for vMotion with NIC1 on standby.

Second I would recommend to use NIC2 and NIC4 in active/active mode, so you actually use the second card for load balancing the VM network traffic and not wasting it in standby mode.

Cheers

Tim

0 Kudos
RomanB1005
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for your answer.

I would like to ask last thing. Can I use load balancing trough the two separate switches .. ?

Thanks in Advance

Roman

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

yes. In the default setting the ESXi will distribute the VMs onto both NICs without any configuration need on the switches.

It's just a simple "load balancing".

The first VM started will use nic1, the second VM use nic2, the third nic1, etc.

0 Kudos