VMware Cloud Community
Comexans
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi name : "empty" - How to change this ?

Hi

We have just installed the brand new ESXi 5.0 (VMware vSphere Hypervisor free version).

Everything works as expected, I have just noticed that the name on the default ESXi screen is set to "empty" on the top under "VMWare 5.0.0 (VMKernel release build 469512)"

I have the same "empty" name in the configuration tab within vSphere client as shown in the screenshot below (sorry for the french interface Smiley Wink )

ESXi empty.png

Is there a way to change this ?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
fgl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This not the hostname for the ESXi host.  This information is from the BIOS of your system so for instance on a HP system it would should Hewlett-Packard HP ...... as it shows on my HP servers so since yours is "empty" I'm assuming you have a whitebox.  As far as I know unless you can change this in the BIOS you are stuck with what ESXi5 picks up.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
iw123
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Have you set the hostname under the ESXi configuration|DNS and Routing menu, or in the ESXi console?

regards,

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
0 Kudos
Comexans
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

The hostname and domain name is set by the DHCP (and is correctly set as you can see in the upper left corner of my previous screenshot).

I have also tried to set it manually in the ESXi console and then rebboted the ESXi but it did not change this 'empty' label...

Any idea ?

0 Kudos
fgl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This not the hostname for the ESXi host.  This information is from the BIOS of your system so for instance on a HP system it would should Hewlett-Packard HP ...... as it shows on my HP servers so since yours is "empty" I'm assuming you have a whitebox.  As far as I know unless you can change this in the BIOS you are stuck with what ESXi5 picks up.

0 Kudos
Comexans
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes you're right it's "hand-made" server based on a Tyan motherboard and an LSI Megaraid controller.

OK I will live with this "empty" labels, it's not a big deal Smiley Wink !

Many thanks for your answer.

0 Kudos