VMware Cloud Community
mozzie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESXi monitoring

Chaps

I want to extract information such as ESXi host CPU temperature, HD temperatures, Total CPU usage (of all VMs), NIC usage stats.

Is this possible to do within a Virtual Machine running on the host? There are many tools such as Aida64, Speedfan, CPU-Z that can do this directly under Windows on a physical PC but not seen anything that interrgogates ESXi hypervisors.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JarryG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

VM does not have direct access to the underlying real hardware. Therefore you can not monitor hardware health directly. You could use client-server approach, but that requires some kind of software for ESXi. Typically this way you can monitor i.e. raid-controllers by VM...

But most of the above mentioned parameters can be monitored by ESXi if you hardware is on HCL (you can see it in vSphere Client). So using some script programming you could collect those data by VM.

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JarryG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

VM does not have direct access to the underlying real hardware. Therefore you can not monitor hardware health directly. You could use client-server approach, but that requires some kind of software for ESXi. Typically this way you can monitor i.e. raid-controllers by VM...

But most of the above mentioned parameters can be monitored by ESXi if you hardware is on HCL (you can see it in vSphere Client). So using some script programming you could collect those data by VM.

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
0 Kudos