VMware Cloud Community
grp
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi minor bugs -> poor development?

This was the first time I have dealt with ESXi 5.1, and I have already found two bugs. Minor, but bugs. I don't know if they are bugs of the Console or ESXi itself, but they are there.

1. A VM starts 1 time in 4 attempts. Play button remains pressed, and nothing happens. I have to hit Stop, and then Play again, and do this until it starts.

2. Configuring VM startup/shutdown, and moving a VM to automatic startup, results in the entry to appear 3 times. Leaving the 'Startup/shutdown' section and entering it again shows the entry just once, as expected.

It is my understanding that, even being minor, those bugs show that the product has not been tested very thoroughly. As you can understand, this cannot be acceptable for a product of this magnitude. I hope this will get better in the future.

You can also see one other thread of mine, about a clear bug in vCenter Converter. This confirms the case one more time.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/425506

Any comment on those bugs would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry you are having issues.

However, I think it might be a bit premature to suggest that the product lacks QA, given that no one else has reported these issues....

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Did you file a Service Request on these issues? If not please do so we can fix the problems or find the root cause.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
grp
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, but we are using the free version of ESXi, hence we can't do that. That's why we posted to the community.

In any case, I attach 3 pictures illustrating the issues. The first two show the multiple entries in startup/shutdown, and the fact that they are shown correctly after I click on another menu and back. The third one shows the VM hanging and not being able to start. Hitting Stop and then Play again MAY solve it. May require to do this 2 or 3 times.

0 Kudos