VMware Cloud Community
PlutoPlanet
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi message in /var/log/messages: HostCtl exception Unable to complete Sysinfo operation. Please see the VMkernel log file for more details

Hi all,

I am always getting the following messages in my ESXi 4.0.1 Host:

Aug 11 14:01:20 Hostd: HostCtl exception Unable to complete Sysinfo operation. Please see the VMkernel log file for more details.

Aug 11 14:01:40 Hostd: HostCtl exception Unable to complete Sysinfo operation. Please see the VMkernel log file for more details.

Aug 11 14:02:00 Hostd: HostCtl exception Unable to complete Sysinfo operation. Please see the VMkernel log file for more details.

Aug 11 14:02:20 Hostd: HostCtl exception Unable to complete Sysinfo operation. Please see the VMkernel log file for more details.

whar does that mean?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Astro
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Same error (but the log file is hostd.log). ESX 4.1 (no ESXi)

Any help ?

Thanks

Max

0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

Did you ever get anywhere with this?

It's come to my attention I have three servers logging this every couple of seconds.

0 Kudos
komanek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the same in logs for my 4 ESX 4.1u1 hosts, no idea what is the cause and how to resolve this. I didn't find anything valuable in the net, what would help me to get rid of these error messages.

0 Kudos
caseybartlett
Contributor
Contributor

I'm getting the same thing - it seems to happen every 20 seconds. Fills up my logs - very annoying to find real errors!

I'm also running 4.1 ESXi... no clue as to what this means and I 'm assuming its erroneous as my server has been up almost 8 months with no noticable problems.

0 Kudos
luho
Contributor
Contributor

this helped me to get rid of the message at esxi5.0u2: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/316829

0 Kudos
komanek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

thanks for pointing to the another thread. If I understood it well, there is said the messages won't appear if ISO images are not mounted. As far as this was not resolved by VMWare for nearly two years, should I wrote some script to periodically unmount all virtual CDs from my machines ? We have more than one administrator, so the script could be sort of supervision on them, but I am not sure there is an API call for testing the ISO was not actively used recently. Or does it mean the error message is actually a harmless garbage, which should be ignored ?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
luho
Contributor
Contributor

hi!

i consider this message as harmless - it disappeared when "Client Device" was selected.

its hard to say if an automated unmount is a good idea, it depends on your customers and environment .)

this script might contain some useful parts for you: http://www.virtu-al.net/vcheck-pluginsheaders/vcheck/

bye

0 Kudos
komanek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you very much, it´s great to hear there is no real problem and we can these log messages ignore. Thnaks also to pinting to the complex scripts.

0 Kudos