VMware Cloud Community
juanjico
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi lost network management

(sorry for my bad english)

I have a ESXi 5.5 host working perfect, but now, I can't access it using the vSphere Client or even SSH.

So, I have accessed it with the console and there is a warning with DHCP lookup failed. So, I've logged to the host to restart the management network. But I got the error:

"Operation on the management network interface failed."

I tried to set an static IP with no luck. Got the error:

"Setting ip/ipv6 configuration failed:"

"Setting default gateway failed: Unable to set VMkernel gateway address to 1.2.3.4 as there are no VMkernel interfaces on the same network with that IP address."

I don't understand this error. The IP is correct and is on the same network as the gateway.

I entered the local console with Alt+F1 and tried to disable the management network with no luck:

# esxcli network ip interface set -e false -i vmk0; esxcli network ip interface set -e true -i vmk0

/usr/lib/vmware/rp/bin/configRP decreaseRPMemMaxSize dhclient 9 :failed

Log file /var/log/configRP.log show:

Could not decrease reservation of host/vim/vmvisor/dhclient by 9MB

I tried to restart all services with

# services.sh restart

But still not working.

I'm a bit lost, because all was working perfect. All virtual machines are working perfect currently.

Any idea ???

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JPM300
Commander
Commander

What happens if you login to the hosts DCUI and go to troubleshooting > Test Management Network, what errors does it come back with?

What happens if you try and set the management IP through the DCUI ?  Does it give an error?

0 Kudos
ramprabhusekar
Contributor
Contributor

hi

as suggested by previous post try to check test management network i.e login thru ilo and try the same.

Try to login thru vpshere client with IP address.

0 Kudos
vfk
Expert
Expert

The ip address and default gateway might be correct, but do you have the correct subnet.  This might be causing you the problem.  Just a thought.

--- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. vfk Systems Manager / Technical Architect VCP5-DCV, VCAP5-DCA, vExpert, ITILv3, CCNA, MCP
0 Kudos