VMware Cloud Community
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

ESXi licensing again.

We understand the "new deal", the concern is implementation.

Will we just have to apply the new subscription license ID to existing ESXi servers or install/upgrade? Is there an announcement somewhere? Fortunately, I don't have to make the decision to stay here or move to alternative. Up to the bean counters. 

Lou

Experience: recognizing a mistake the second time you make it. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
The previous perpetual licenses are valid, and the support and subscription contracts that are in force, remain valid until their expiration date.

So far what you cannot do is to renew support and subscription contracts or purchase new ones with the old licenses. If you need to be covered by a support and subscription contract you will have to switch to the new subscription licensing scheme with its annual cost.

My small and medium sized customers (version 6.X and 7.X) have decided to stay with the perpetual licenses and wait a while to see if it is worth it to move to the new licensing scheme or start considering other virtualization options.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yes, understood. I am wondering what the procedure, technical wise, to move to the subscription model. We are also in perpetual mode, wait and see. 

I guess no information has been released.

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.

https://redresscompliance.com/broadcom-vmware-licensing-and-subscription-changes-explained/

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/8.0/vsphere-vcenter-esxi-management/GUID-710CD935-DBF4-4AF...

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos