VMware Cloud Community
sikas
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi is not able to use newly installed NICs.

Hello,

I have recently added 2 NICs to my hardware. Tried to reinstall ESXi, but it still can't detect any of the installed NICs. Only the on-board NIC is working.

Running this command, lspci -v | grep -A1 -i ethernet, from the SSH, it shows the NICs there, but for some reason, the ESXi is not able to use them.

[root@home:~] lspci -v | grep -A1 -i ethernet
0000:00:19.0 Network controller Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection [vmnic0]
Class 0200: 8086:1502
--
0000:02:00.0 Network controller Ethernet controller: D-Link System Inc DGE-560T PCI Express (x1) Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
Class 0200: 1186:4300
--
0000:03:02.0 Network controller Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. DFE-520TX Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter
Class 0200: 1106:3106

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DavoudTeimouri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Each operating system or hypervisor has HCL that you must check the hardware compatibility with the software.

Also compatibility maybe changed in newer version. So please check the hardware compatibility with the ESXi version at this link:

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Davoud Teimouri - https://www.teimouri.net - Twitter: @davoud_teimouri Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/teimouri.net/
0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

As every OS there is a need for a driver to leverage the underlying hardware. The driver comes with the base install or need to manually installed.

To make it short... your hardware doesnt looks like consumer grade desktop hardware so its unlikely that there is a ESXi compatible driver for it.  Get a supportet Intel or Broadcom need.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
sikas
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I have a Dell Optiplex 7010 Desktop. I have installed an additional LAN Express PCI card. But I'm not sure if I can get it to work. It came with a CD for the drivers. If I need to install it, can you advise how I can do that?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You don’t even say which version of ESXi you’re using.

Bear in mind that ESXi is designed for use on enterprise-grade hardware.

Check the compatibility link already posted above, if your NICs aren’t returned in the search results they are not supported.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

I have my doubt that the CD you mentioned contains driver for VMware ESXi. I would assume you will find Windows driver there.

Since ESX 4.0 and the anaconda installer from the redhat based service console its not possible any more to inject additional drivers during the install process. So when having a need for a nic driver you have to challenge a chicken and egg problem.

It is possible to create/modify your own VMware ESXi install media which than install the driver you needed... but you dont have this driver because of your unsupportet hardware.

I have tons of old broadcom 5719/20 and also Intel e1000 in the office. Come and get one for free.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos