VMware Cloud Community
ninyop
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi installation on AMD G34 servers

Our customers are complaining the slowness with which the ESXi 4.1 installs on AMD G34 servers (about 10-12 mins) compared to installation on Intel systems (about 2 mins). Has anyone else experienced similar issues? Is this even considered an issue? If yes, is there a solution?

Thanks

Nihir

SuperMicro

0 Kudos
4 Replies
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

I've only used Intel Xeon powered servers/systems as ESX/ESXi hosts... Your customer's complaint is just another reason why I'll stick with Xeon powered systems...

Solution? Sure, use Intel Xeon powered hosts...

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

How does the boot time compare with the install time?

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
ninyop
Contributor
Contributor

We have two customers who reported identical issues on different G34 systems. One mentioned that all the system performs normally after installation which is what I have seen during my testing. The other complained about choppy performance even after installation but that is a different issue.

I wanted to find out whether the installation time is common with G34 system before diving into details and involving related engineers. I want to say that it is normal as it does not affect any kind of performance but I want some data to back it up.

Thanks

Nihir

SuperMicro

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

I wouldn't expect such a delay. It may be getting hung up loading a module. Did the customers make a note of when it was slow in the install process?

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos