VMware Cloud Community
VMhummer8008
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi install stops loading bnx2 modules

Trying to install ESXi (Thin) on HP BL 495c blades in C7000 chasis with Flex-10s and while loading bnx2x modules, ESXi installation halts and we could see errors referring to incompatible interfaces.

We are installing ESXi on 16 blade servers across 4 different C7000 enclosures with identical configuration in our environment and this problem could be seen only on one of the enclosures. This chasis has 4 BL 495c blade servers and in them the installation was failing on three of them with one blade not giving problems. We also have Flex modules configured without any VLan.

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

Have you upgraded all the firmware and BIOS?

Are you using the latest updated version of ESXi?

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
robert_eckdale
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am experiencing the exact same behavior with the HP BL 490c G6 and Flex-10 + Virtual Connect modules.

I was able to install ESXi 4 Update 2 on 11 blades across 2 x c7000 enclosure without issue. However the install stops at loading bnx2 on two blades, each in seperate enclosures. The blades are all identical. I have reviewed all BIOS configurations, firmware versions etc. (multiple times) and have found no discernable difference.

I have found that if I remove the assigned Virtual Connect server profile the install completes. However once I assigning a Virtual Connect server profile the system fails to boot indicating "No compatible network adapter found."

0 Kudos
rborgmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Just wanted to share an experience which might be valuable;

I was installing ESX 4.0u1 on 3 blades (HP BL495c G6). Install went fine, but after I had upgraded the servers to U2 + patches, they all disappeared at reboot. Looking at the console I could see "no compatible network adapter". This was solved by re-installing the BIOS Firmware (A14 version) even though the Update Utility said that firmware was already up-to-date. The reinstall made something that got rid of the problem.

0 Kudos