VMware Cloud Community
Le_Tadlo
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi hosts periodically trying to reconnect old NFS shares

Hello all,

I noticed three of my ESXi hosts are trying to connect to old NFS shares that were removed.

They are not defined via GUI or present in esxcli storage nfs list or esxi storage core device detached list

However, I found them defined in /etc/vmware/esxi.conf

I tried manually editing them out and reloading vpxa, hostd and nfsgssd but the machine with NFS shares still shows attempts to connect. I suppose rebooting the hosts will help, but I don't want to do that for obvious reasons.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
25 Replies
Nawals
Expert
Expert

Don’t change esxi.conf to esx.conf I just explain you. When you get the change window you reboot to fixed it..

NKS Please Mark Helpful/correct if my answer resolve your query.
0 Kudos
Le_Tadlo
Contributor
Contributor

There are some SSD's directly mounted to a virtual machine running on one of the hosts.

They were supposed to be moved to a DAS, but we found out they are not supported.

But we will have to find a service window and do a reboot. It seems its the only working solution.

Thank you guys.

0 Kudos
Nawals
Expert
Expert

Please mark this as correct answer which I provided to fixed your issue. Because this thread going too long. Open new question so we can discuss it.

0 Kudos
Le_Tadlo
Contributor
Contributor

Well, my first question was how to remove the shares without reboot ... which was not solved.

Sorry, but I'm not marking any solution correct.

0 Kudos
Nawals
Expert
Expert

Configuration information for the host is available in several configuration files within the /etc/ directory on an ESX host. If changes are made to these configuration files, they persist across reboots.

0 Kudos
Le_Tadlo
Contributor
Contributor

For anyone who would encounter a similar issue in the future, the issue with inability to remove the (once again) mounted NFS shares was that I deleted them in esx.conf

After re-adding them, I was able to remove them by esxcli storage nfs remove -v

0 Kudos