VMware Cloud Community
alex9999991
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi host1 cannot ping ONE other computer in same network?

Hi,

I'm very new to ESXI and have a weird problem that I cannot solve and don't have an idea whats going wrong. I freshly installed esxi1 and added one VM named vm1. Did not play too much with settings... just wanted to get vm1 up and running.

So far everything is working and I decided to mount an NFS share to have access to some files and stumbled across the following issue:
- vm1 can ping everything
- all hosts in the network can ping each other
- esxi1 host can ping every computer on the network, EXCEPT one NAS (tried from SSH), so I cannot mount the NFS share.

I have a "Management Network" and a "VM Network", both use the same vSwitch0 and have the same VLAN-ID 0 and both uses the same physical NIC.

But esxi => ping => NAS is not possible. What did I miss?

Thank you and best regards, Alex

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
alex9999991
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, problem solved:

my NAS has two physical NICs. The second NIC is configured to 10.0.0.4 (== esxi IP 🙄) since ages but was never physically connected.
Now, the NAS does NOT respond/accept traffic from another host with IP 10.0.0.4 since it is its own IP from NIC2.

Since the esxi came in some days ago and I configured it to 10.0.0.4 the NAS was not responding to anything from 10.0.0.4

In any case, thank you very much for your help!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello
This link contains information that may be of help to you.

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/techpaper/vmw-white-paper-vsphr-na...

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

>>> But esxi => ping => NAS is not possible. What did I miss?

You basically missed to provide some details about your network. Is the ESXi host (the Management Network in this case) in the same subnet as the NAS? If not, are subnet mask, and gateway address configured properly?

André

alex9999991
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, thank you for your replies!

Everything is on the same network: 10.0.0.0, 255.255.255.0, GW 10.0.0.1, DNS 10.0.0.2, 10.0.0.1
NAS: 10.0.0.3
ESXI: 10.0.0.4
vm1 10.0.0.2
other PC's

From ESXi SSH-shell I can ping everything: .0.2, .0.4, .0.1, .0.25 (my PC) ,.... EXCEPT 10.0.0.3
From my PC I can ping 10.0.0.3
NAS is a synology without firewall

Which information can I provide additionally? I have only Webaccess to ESXi since it is a free version.

0 Kudos
alex9999991
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, problem solved:

my NAS has two physical NICs. The second NIC is configured to 10.0.0.4 (== esxi IP 🙄) since ages but was never physically connected.
Now, the NAS does NOT respond/accept traffic from another host with IP 10.0.0.4 since it is its own IP from NIC2.

Since the esxi came in some days ago and I configured it to 10.0.0.4 the NAS was not responding to anything from 10.0.0.4

In any case, thank you very much for your help!