VMware Cloud Community
SeanHenVW
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi host randomly disconnects from vCenter

I have a host (HP Proliant DL360 G8) that is currently disconnecting from vcenter. It just recently started this. Currently running ESXi 5.1.0. If told to reconnect it connects with no issue. Reviewed the logs and nothing is really jumping out, I see normal traffic and heartbeat flow. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - is this occurring with other host or just this one? Look at the physical network make sure noting is going on there-

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
SeanHenVW
Contributor
Contributor

So far just this one, and it started recently, but no updates have been applied. Took a look at the iLO side of the server thinking it might be a hardware failure and it saw no issues there.

0 Kudos
homerzzz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Since your host is a G8, what ESXi image version are you using? The latest HP custom image?

0 Kudos
ClintColding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Possible duplicated IP on the network?

0 Kudos
skadoo
Contributor
Contributor

I agree with ClintColding. I would check for a duplicate IP. If other hosts are not having the issue and they are the same make/model and if the same ISO was used for the install, then I doubt it is related to the ISO.

0 Kudos
SeanHenVW
Contributor
Contributor

Yes they are both using the same build. And no IP conflicts have been seen.

0 Kudos
khaliqamar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

if you think you have installed the correct version/ISOs then just try to restart the vmware management agents.

0 Kudos
john23
Commander
Commander

If you are not observing any stuff in logs, its better to enable trivia logging... /etc/VMware/hostd/config.xml.

-A

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com
0 Kudos
SatyS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi

Just check your server compatibility in www.vmware.com/go/hcl

If the server is incompatible sometimes installation goes on,but some modules fail to load which will cause problem.

-SatyS

If you find this useful,please mark the answer as correct/helpful

Regards,
SatyS
http://myvirtuallearning.wordpress.com/

0 Kudos
dhanarajramesh

just follow basic troubleshooting method. 1) take a look at the host event logs and check the disconnection period time stamps and also check the esxi performance.  2) login thru ssh and check vmkernal hostd and vpxa logs. 3) at the same time look at vcenter vpxd logs.  find out is there any error are warnings.  If it is disconnected due to network issue you can find out all the nic connection will be up and connection fluctuation in Kernal logs. some times physical hard ware memory also would cause this issue due to check sum error and it wouldlead host not responding.

dhanarajramesh

more over  if you configured only 2 NIC's with "Beacon Probing"  fail over mechanism there is a chance of network failure which also would lead to host disconnection

SeanHenVW
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks dhanarajramesh I will look into those ideas. I did check the host event logs and they looked clean, nothing out of the ordinary

0 Kudos
dhanarajramesh

please check other logs and paste here vmkernal logs

0 Kudos